C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (17)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 01:35 AM
Cory1970
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (17)

None of interior lights work except the on in the back storage compartment. My radio will randomly work. I have checked all fuses and they are fine. I think it is a ground problem because the two frame leads for grounds are just hanging off the frame and I do not know where they go to. If anyone can tell me where to ground everything to on the frame or maybe send me a diagram of the electrical system I would be very greatfull. I hate it because at night I can't see the spedo or the tack, and I can't cruise to tunes in the day!!! help!!!anyone have a coppy of electrical system from manual, please send it???!!
:mad
Old 01-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (Cory1970)

What grounds are you talking about? Where are they located on the frame? What about engine to frame? I would have to assume the battery to frame is good or you wouldn't get anything. You may also have corroded wires as well as bad grounds. Any more info would help greatly.

[Modified by sharklover, 11:56 PM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 02:04 AM
slide
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (sharklover)

check the ground that goes to the instrument cluster and the one that is on the radio itself. You can try just running a wire from the - side of the battery and touching it to the radio case, this should give you the ground you need. If everything works then you know you have a bad ground. All the dash lights run off the same ground on my 75.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:48 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (slide)

This may help.. The tail lights (not the brake lights) are on the same circuit as the inteior lights and share the same fuse. Also unless you remove the fuses and check it with a meter you can overlook a burnt out fuse. Sometimes they break loose inside near the end where you can't see. I've been fooled a few times. I have seen some original fuses that were corroded on the outside and just didn't make contact. Look at the fuse panel really close. :jester

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:50 AM 1/28/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (Cory1970)

Cory. A little tip. If you found the frame grounds "hanging", their connection must be within the "radius" of the length of wire. Usually frame grounds are attached to the frame with hex sheet metal screws. Look carefully while "swinging" the wire. Bet you'll find a hole/hex sheet screw. Both the AIM and Chilton/Haynes manuals have electrical diagrams. Hope this helps. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (17)

Quick Reply: Inteior lights? Please help a young corvette owner (17)