C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s

Was looking at some old threads on rear speaker Ideas on how to mount a set of 6x9's back there and finally built one today. Used some ideas but contructed mine out of luan mahogany plywood 1/8 inch thick.(LIGHT!) Its 12 inches high, 3 inches thick, and 53 1/2 inches long. Had to cut it in the middle to get it to fit. The way I got mine to contour to the fender wells was I crawled back there with some poster board and a pair of scissors and kept cutting the poster board to the correct radius till I had a nice flush fit. I layed the poster board right onto the plywood,traced it out, and used a jig saw to cut em out.
They sound alot better than the way they were mounted before. Just have to cover the box with carpet and shes done..Ive been waiting for my digital camera for two weeks --- I'll post pics when I get the cam....
Thanks for the ideas!! (Ganey,Tex 71BB,JBroghton, Aaron76) :cheers:
Old 01-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s (Rich80)

I've got one of the Ecklers boxes back there, but I'm wanting to build a new box at some point and try to fit something larger than a 6x9, like maybe 8" separates.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s (Chris Fowler '80)

Yeah Chris the 6 x 9's dont give me all the base I want but at least thats a start. The 8's will give you the base...
Old 01-28-2002, 01:00 AM
Nick89TA
Heel & Toe

Yeah, i was going to build a box in my 77 for two small 8" subwoofers (Illusion ND8 or A/D/S 8). Since vettes are 2 seaters, there is really no need to have any rear soundstage. In my opinion, it will sound ok with just bass being produced behind you, and a good set of components up front. In the front, I am going to go with DEI's studio series components, which are available in 5.25 or 6.5. These speakers have a very shallow mounting depth, and will be installed in custom low profile fiberglass kickpanels, so they don't crowd the footwell too much. Can't wait to get it done, hopefully by end of next summer.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:07 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Yeah Chris the 6 x 9's dont give me all the base I want but at least thats a start. The 8's will give you the base...
Yup...and mine are somewhat cheap and warp the sound quite easily at higher volume... :(
Old 01-28-2002, 05:32 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s (Chris Fowler '80)

You guys need 2.5" true duals with flowmasters. No need for a radio then. :cool: I guess I listen to mine when I'm in sitting outside in the car at the local burger joint on a nice summer night. :yesnod: I can't wait until spring gets here so I can do that again.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:35 AM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s (Nick89TA)

Nick98TA, Here's some food for thought. These gents who have the 78-82's have the open glass to deal with and much harder to get speakers installed or sound good. I used to own an 80 and it's not real easy to place speakers in them. I only have my 75 now, so I built two small boxes for my 3-way 6x9's, then bought a kicker S-80 (I think) subwoofer: 24x8x8. I secured each box with a single bracket attached to the "lip" in the back, then let each rest on the wheel well keeping each box level and spread as far apart from each other as possible. The sub box sits between them, with its 200W amp mounted vertical up the back over the light fixture. I removed the lens and bulb, but you could mount the amp in other places. With a Pioneer Premier DEH-P630 CDplayer 4x50w, this is the best sound I have ever had in the car and I have had 4 different units/systems, since I've owned it. The Pioneer unit can adjust the sound, so that the front won't get the low bass, but will pass the mids and highs. The 6x9's handle the higher hertz on the bass, mids and highs, then I set the low pass filter to 50HZ so the sub can process the clear lows. It moves the hair on your head and you can hear good sounds at all 4 corners at the elevated volumes needed with the mufflers and air noise some of us have in our vehicles. I have Pioneer 4x6's up in my dash, so no need for the foot well speakers. Next, I plan to bond some mounts up under the back and hang a 12 CD changer from it. Again, just food for thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s

Quick Reply: Speaker Boxes w/ 6x9,s