C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core

I'm replacing my dash. Don't know if the guy before me ever replaced the heater core or not but I know it doesn't leak and have used the heater several times since I bought it. Think I should change it or what?
Old 01-27-2002, 07:21 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Heater Core (Armstrong)

There's a bit more to removing the heater core than just the dash panels, but if you have any intention of removing the duct work I would definitely recommend changing the heater core. It's a good idea to change all of the duct seals / weatherstripping and it's a good idea to get the new heater core tested before you put it in. That's one job that I did not enjoy doing and hope not to have to do again.

Oh, this is made on the assumption that you have A/C. Non-A/C heater cores are not supposed to be difficult to change.

[Modified by jerryp58, 6:22 PM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 07:30 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Thanx Jerry I do have A/C and no I was not going to remove any ductwork. No need to unless I was going to replace the heater core. Have the dash out and that ductwork looks like a real nitemare but I was just thinking that if it needed done now would be the time.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:38 PM
rayray
Racer

I would replace it. I'm in the middle of putting a new engine in my '71, so while I was there I replaced the heater core. I have air and yes it's a job but I plan on keeping the car and didn't know how old the heater core was. My luck it would leak as soon as I put new coolant in it and started the new engine.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:30 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of additional work replacing the heater core. I'd leave it alone if it's O.K. and pay extra attention to maintaining fresh antifreeze solution year round to make sure it doesn't corrode. If you haven't done so in the past, it might make sense to change it.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core

Quick Reply: Heater Core