C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 03:14 PM
VetteGoVroom82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars?

Hello. After hearing both sides of this argument, I've decided to bring my question to the experts (everyone in the forum :) ). How does the cost of maintaining a C3 (both replacements and repairs) compare to that of other cars? Over time, would a C3 cost less to keep running than a more modern car? I think so, as it seems that there's less to go wrong on an older car, and if something DOES break down, it's a relatively simple thing to replace. Other people I've talked to say the opposite: since the car's so old, the small availability of parts for the car will increase their price, and that it will need maintenance often.

Any info. you can give me on this topic would be great, with stories and examples being even better. (I always love hearing stories about a CorvetteForum member's C3). Thanks a lot!

-Paul :smash:
Old 01-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (VetteGoVroom82)

Small availability of parts? Only if you consider the fact that the SBC/BBC have been active since 55/65 respectively in Corvettes. Engine parts are not a problem whatsoever, and the engine is probably the most expensive/most frequently repaired piece on the car. The body's easy to do, and there are plenty of places that sell aftermarket body kits. Interior is slightly rougher in cars with unique trim pieces but not too bad. Most expensive part of the car would probably be the rear suspension, as it requires a lot of 63-82 specialty tools to work certain parts. Of course, this isn't too big a deal at all when you consider that there are places like Van Steel which make the job ten times easier by doing all the specialty work for you.
If you do the work yourself, this could be a fairly cheap car to maintain. If you don't, then expect a lot like any car. Generally, the cost you have to spend on the car depends on the car itself and your driving style. A car that's been recently restored(PROPERLY) will have very little maintenance costs. A car that's 20+ years old and running on original gear is a large bill waiting to be written.
-Steve
Old 01-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (VetteGoVroom82)

I would have to say more expensive, just due to the age of the vehicles. Repair cost can be less expensive due to most owners being able to do most of there own repairs, but there are usally a lot more repairs to be done as any and all parts could need to replace at any given moment. I have owned my Vette for about 3 years and have probably spent in the neighborhood of $10,000 dollars to keep it running good. Some of that money went to cosmetic things that most owners want i.e. replacing worn our interior parts. If I bought a new car I would not expect to pay for more than gas and oil changes. I can say that my car has never broken down in 3 years, but that says a lot about my preventative maintenence(replacing old parts before the give out). :)

[Modified by Warp70, 2:23 PM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 03:25 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (Warp70)

I bought my 82 for driving fun and to tinker with. If I want a reliable driver, I jump into my 2000 Tacoma. I love driving the Vette and working on it as well. Some things are a PITA to work on, but aren't they with all cars?
Just my .02
Old 01-27-2002, 03:52 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
I bought my 68 convert for fun only.
You can't run such a old car with a big block as a daily driver over here.
Fuel consumption would kill and being a convertible, not realy weather tight, will take the fun of it away.
I think that repair costs are not any higher as on any other car.
Consider a new car and the regularily coming up expensive routine checks to keep the warranty going. This can ,depending on the milage per year driven , come up twice a year and add up over here to between 200 $ to possibly 500 $ per check up , depending on the car. Lots of good stuff can be bought to keep a C3 going.
The biggest costs coming up on C3's are not realy necessary to keep it running, but are to improove the cosmetical look, improove the engine, drivetrain .
I believe that a fairly maintained C3 coupe or T-top with a mild small block
could become a daily driver for me, once the kids are out of the house.
Remember, Vettes are not good family cars. :D
By the way, my daily driver is a 20 year old OPEL MANTA B and as long as I owned it, it hasn't seen anybody else than me repairing it.
If I look into the engine bay of my wifes CRYSLER VOYAGER , ohhh, I can't even stick my hands around it. Wonder how they got that engine in there.
:mad
I will stick with old cars.
Gunther
Old 01-27-2002, 04:03 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Hi Paul....
This subject will always be very controversial.
Someone may purchase a used Corvette from a previous owner that did little
or no maintenance. They got rid of it because of problems. The next owner
inherits all the problems and says it's the worst car he ever owned.

I can only state my own experience. In the past 32 years, I have spent less
than $ 5,000.00 (US), on the car in "total".
This does not include regular maintenance items. (Tires, oil changes etc.)
It has been a very, very reliable car. Now has about 87K miles.
For many years it was not driven easy.
At the moment the only thing that needs repairing is the shift lever seals
in the transmission. Not leaking, just wet.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-27-2002, 04:15 PM
VetteGoVroom82
Advanced

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (Barry's70LT1)

It appears that the only thing that can be agreed upon concerning the amount of maintenance C3s require is that all cars are different.

-Paul
:hat
Old 01-27-2002, 08:44 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

82 vette/ water pump/timing gears/chain/alum cover approx 350$

325ix bmw water pump/ timing belt /ac,alt,water pump belts/tensioner
103 $
parts prices only :rolleyes:
Old 01-27-2002, 10:15 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well i can't say for others, but i think maintaining a C-3 is much less trouble than many, many newer cars. And the number of outlets where replacement parts can be found is really a lot more than many newer cars?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Purplerainz
Melting Slicks

lets see I had my 78 sa for three years so far .. had to replace the holley carb($240), borla mufflers($500), radiator($200), tires($250), at a cost of $1,190 .. luckily I have a friend who has saved me hundreds more in labor - for free ..

on the other hand my 78 vette needs a new interior , brakes / lines .. gaskets , a/c is out .. so another 2k+ there .. eventually a motor upgrade and after 2003 I can remove the cats .. at that time will the costs go up considerably .. but it's a one shot fixer upper .. which is fine with me ..

right now it runs very good - it's just oil and gas money for the moment ..

:)

[Modified by Purplerainz, 6:55 AM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (Purplerainz)

Well, imagine Corvetteparts outside of the US. One could make a fortune on those parts here.

For instance I had to pay a whopping 150$ for 2 FelPro head gaskets, boy did I feel screwed :(

Marck
Old 01-28-2002, 10:28 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (Twinnie)

You are right on target ,,,, It cost me 50$ for a pair of steel core valve cover gaskets ............ I would hate to have to deal with the problems you must encounter !!!

G
Old 01-28-2002, 11:34 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (ram82fire)

That's not all... try to find a hydrobooster here ;)

Latest rip-off is 60$ for soft alu exh. gaskets.. I'm not sure i'm gonna pick 'em up.. I ordered them but the prices..man I'm gonna be poor when I'm done w/ this car.

Luckily I have some contacts in the US that make finding parts much easier :D

Marck

Old 01-28-2002, 12:01 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Many Vette guys are into performance or at least cars so they spend more on them than usual. Reliability is excellent. If someone buys a used one in good condition, it's no big deal, at least to someone who knows what he is doing. :cool:
Some things are expensive, at least they are available. Note that some here include performance parts w/ a gasket change for example.

:cool:
Old 01-29-2002, 12:59 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars? (DavidB)

I think it depends on the condition of the C3. If it is in good shape then it wouldn't cost much to drive daily. I have been replacing parts on mine that are 26years old !!!! these parts lasted a long time. Even if I had to replace everything on my car it would still be less expensive than a new car. Most new cars (that I would actually buy) are in the 24,000 dollar range. Now it won't break alot, but damn thats 24 grand !!!! By the time I have spent half of that I will have a solid running Vette. I have about 8,000 in my 75 and I take it to work when I want and don't have many problems, wait till I have 12,000... It will be solid and ready to go another 26 years. So I think its less expensive to drive an old car than a new one. :cheers:
Old 01-29-2002, 01:20 PM
skinsfan
Advanced

Just DON'T LET THEM SIT... my vette sat for around 3years (kids)... alot of dry rot. around $3800 worth (ouch). These cars must be driven weekly to stay well lubed. The repairs on a vette will cost more, just because it is a VETTE. I called to have a set of keys made(lost the original 25 year old keys) I tell the locksmith it is a 77 chevy.. he says $60. when he got there he says," HEY this is a vette that is going to cost more ($100)" A tow truck regular $45. Vette $75.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:38 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

It depends. When I first got my Vette, I woulda told you its more expensive as I had a lot of stuff to replace. Now, I spend practically nothing on repair stuff as everything is up to snuff. Upgrades, though, is a different story. If you want bone stock, then its relatively inexpensive. Hell, a whole new engine is only $1300!

But if saving money is a primary concern, steer clear of this forum! ;)
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars?

Old 01-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most expensive car I've ever restored. Build quality wasn't the best.

Hans
Old 01-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Vader953
Instructor

Fellas, it's definitely more. Parts are now sold mostly by specialty companies and are much more expensive, because the parts have to be specially made in low numbers. Therefore they have to charge more per part to make a profit. Some parts (i.e. seatbelts, interior mouldings, A/C controls,etc.) are VERY expensive.

Old 01-29-2002, 05:01 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're kidding, right. The price for Corvette parts is nuts. Very similar to saying "marine" or "nuclear" to parts suppliers. They know that it's your baby, you're obsessive about it, and you will pay almost anything to keep it running. They also think that if you can afford a Corvette, (no matter that you paid 5k for it), then bend over and grab your ankles! Plus, these are 20-30 year old machines. They wear out.

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Quick Reply: How do the repair costs of C3s compare to other cars?