C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 12:47 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No?

I had previously replaced my oil pan gasket with the FelPro Perma dry which clearly stated "Do not use Chemical Adhesives". However, I still had a very tiny drip coming from the rear of the pan. It's definately the pan, not the rear main.

I took it all apart this morning. I have a new gasket and am almost ready to put it back together. Anyone have experience with these and any suggestions to prevent any leaks. I thought of putting a thin coat of the brush on permatex on anyway but don't want to cause a melt-down. :smash:

Any suggestions appreciated. Also, the pan is straight and like new.

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 11:48 AM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 01:02 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No? (78Vette-SA)

Did you get those rear tabs in all the way the first time? It's kind of tricky and if you don't do it right you get leaks.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:20 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No? (78Vette-SA)

Far what it's worth, I think I used a little red (oil resistant) rtv on those tabs at the rear bearing/seal on mine as I recall. It's been a while but I seem to remember being warned by other Forum members of leak problems in that location and some recommended this practise. It may make the gasket un-reusable but it's not as likely to leak. I've had no reason to drop my pan for some time now so the reusable part doesn't bother me.
It's entirely possiable that the gasket has been improved since my time(about a year).
Old 01-28-2002, 09:56 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No? (Ben Taylor)

Did you get those rear tabs in all the way the first time? It's kind of tricky and if you don't do it right you get leaks.
Thought I did but you never know. I have the pan off and the new gasket in place. Was too nice out this wekend to finish. Have ot wait until Saturday.

Thanks all...

Get notified of new replies

To FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No?

Quick Reply: FelPro Perma-Dry Oil Pan Gaskets - RTV yes/No?