C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb Tuning Basics

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 10:42 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Carb Tuning Basics

I've got a Road Demon carb on a project I'm working on. It's running a little rich (plugs are very dark). I'm going to dig out the box and watch the video and read the manual that came with the carb, but figured I'd run it by here also.

The carb idles perfectly. If I pump it up a little (in neutral, it's not on the road yet) there is also no hesitation. Seems to run great but it does seem to be just a little smoky also. (The wife loves when I do this in the garage and fill the house with that wonderful aroma - even with the garage doors open.). :mad

Can this be adjusted without changing the jets? This is some new territory for me and I would like to learn.

Thanks,

Joe..

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 9:43 AM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 12:53 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Carb Tuning Basics (78Vette-SA)

You can turn in your idle mixture screws and lean it out, not to say you won't have to rejet it, I did. what you do is with the car running turn in one screw until the car starts to die then turn it out slowly until the idle reaches its peak, it is pretty easy to hear. Ifyou go to far out the idle will start to drop because it is getting to rich. do this with all four idle screws starting with the primary two and then do the secondaries. if you need to rejet it is really simple and will probably be only one jet size down as the demons tend to run lean out of the box. At my altitude I didn't have much choice however, we don't have any stinking air up here.

Good luck
Kurt :seeya
Old 01-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I have the same problem with my road demon, but I have not really tried to adjust it. I played with the idle mixture screws and have cut out some of the smoke now. On the road it is great though. I could not believe how much it helped out compared to my q-jet. I am still waiting to final tune the carb due to a recently discovered vacuum leak. I traced it down to a bad relay for the wipers so in a week I should have the carb set, and can get back with some tuning info.

Mark B.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:54 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I'll be giving it another shot this weekend. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Carb Tuning Basics

Quick Reply: Carb Tuning Basics