C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Kick Down Cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 11:13 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Transmission Kick Down Cable

I haven't had my kick down cable hooked up for a long time now. Heard today it could cause tranny problems. :eek: I thought it was just a passing gear deal, but they said it could affect the shifting. Does anyone know exactly what this does and can it cause a problem? :confused:

:cheers: to all!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!

Dan
Old 01-26-2002, 11:48 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Transmission Kick Down Cable (DP77Vette)

Yes if you have a TH700-r4 or a TH200-4r, it can cause serious problems, I'm not sure if it is just as critical on a TH350. On the Overdrive transmissions, I've been told it can burn out your tranny in short order if it is out of adjustment. According to what I have read, when the throttle is wide open, the cable should completely depress the plunger inside the transmission. The only way to check this out is to drop the tranny pan and look at it. Have somebody jack the throttle wide open while you look at the actuator from under the car.
I have seen a web site that detailed how to do this. Quite a number of people here on the forum have installed TH-200-4r and TH-700r4 cars that use the TV cable. One of them might be able to give you really good instructions on how to adjust it.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cable "tells" the transmission where the throttle is and adjusts internal pressure accordingly. Light throttle, low pressure so you get an early soft shift and at part throttle you get a later firmer shift. The cable also is the kickdown. On th350 there is a vacuum modulator also involed but on a 700r-4 the cable is the only input so if it is not adjusted correctly the trans either will not shift or shift soft and early. The latter will burn up the clutches as they tend to slip without enough pressure. Adjust the cable and see what happens, that's the ONLY way to know for sure.. if it is not slipping now it is probably OK. Even if it is slipping now it still may work fine when you hook up the cable and adjust it. Do Not have the trans worked on just because someone says you have damaged it by driving with the cable unhooked. TRY it first. :chevy
Old 01-28-2002, 10:50 AM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Transmission Kick Down Cable (silvervetteman)

Thanks!! :cheers: My problem is on a TH-350. My next ? is how do you adjust the cable? :confused: I hooked it up yesterday, but it won't go into passing gear. I think there's an adjustment on the cable near the carb, but just want to make sure.

Thanks!!

Dan :chevy
Old 01-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a pretty good way to adjust the cable. Pull the cable as far up as you can by hand. You may actually feel the "detent". That shoul be just at full throttle at the pedal. Do it at the pedal to make sure the carb is wide open at that time. If the pedal rod under the dash is bent and the carb won't open all the way you need to fix it first and then set every thing up from there. These older C-3's have a tendency to bend the throttle linkage under the dash. Check if for sure!! :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Kick Down Cable

Quick Reply: Transmission Kick Down Cable