C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel size. back spacing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 02:44 AM
mountainshark76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel size. back spacing?

HI all
i got a shot at free slot mags, that i like! they are 15 x 8.5 with a 3 1/2 in back spacing. the bolt circle is correct. will they fit our cars? i would not mind if they stick out a little. what do you think. :crazy:
Old 01-26-2002, 05:10 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: wheel size. back spacing? (mountainshark76)

i think that they should fit. if i remember correctly, the factory backspacing for the aluminum wheels (like mine) is "neutral". meaning that on an 8" wheel the back space is 4". hey, if their free, how do you go wrong trying it? :D
Old 01-26-2002, 05:59 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: wheel size. back spacing? (clutchdust)

I could be wrong but I'm not sure that backspacing is the only thing to be concerned about. What about the actual shape of the wheel? No, I'm not talking about round. :rolleyes: I'm talking about how our stock wheels are shaped so that they clear the caliper. I think that is another concern but I have been known to be confused by comments before so I could just be way off base. But hey, they're free, try em and see if they fit. If not, give em back.

[Modified by sharklover, 4:00 AM 1/26/2002]
Old 01-26-2002, 08:07 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: wheel size. back spacing? (sharklover)

sharklover is correct: with 3.5 in BS, the wheel will stick out 0.5in further than a stock wheel....probably no big deal for most people. It all depends on the back of the wheel clearing the Vette calipers. Only way to try it is to try it.

Keep in mind about the BS though(or to give you an idea of what others are doing), some guys are using 15x8 wheels with 3.75 BS and a 7/16 spacer to clear the calipers. That would be the equivalent of using a wheel with 3.3 in BS. Using that example, you'd be pretty close using a BS of 3.5 provided of course the back side of the wheel clears the calipers.
Oh, BS=backspacing and not BS!
Len

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 7:09 AM 1/26/2002]
Old 01-28-2002, 03:56 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: wheel size. back spacing? (mountainshark76)

you know, avery is exactly right! i forgot i had the exact same issue he mentioned and i totally blew it! :rolleyes: i bought some 15"x10" circle track wheels to mount up my racing slicks, went to put them on and, damn! the wheel won't turn :eek: just like avery said, my calipers (stock for now) stick out 3/4" past the hub and the circle track wheels only cleared 5/16" of that so now i have to run fabricated spacers with the slicks. real pain in the butt that could have been prevented if i had measued that first.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel size. back spacing?

Quick Reply: wheel size. back spacing?