C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 12:56 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket?

When I pulled my heads I found no sign of an exhaust gasket on either manifold. I have read that the factory never installed exhaust gaskets. What I want to know, is should I go back with gaskets or not? If so, which gaskets should I go with? I never noticed any signs of an exhaust leak before I pulled them, is the seal good enough that gaskets aren't required?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2002, 01:10 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket? (Smokehouse69)

Chevy did not use gaskets between the heads and the exhaust manifold, was a metal to metal fit. From what I have seen and read, if you do use gaskets you are opening yourself up to exhaust leaks down the road as the gaskets burn through.

tom...
Old 01-26-2002, 01:48 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket? (Tom73)

A word of warning: the metal to metal will only work if both surfaces are straight and clean. Having ram's horns 'planed' to straighten them out is no problem- easy work for a good machine shop. Heads aren't normally a problem but still worth a check.

There are excellent metal gaskets on the market now if you don't want to plane the ram's horns.

There's also the option of using a high-temp silicone 'form-a-gasket' between metal to metal.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:44 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket? (Mac)

I just went down to autozone and asked for exhaust gaskets to fit the 79 vette.
I got Fel-Pro MS 9275 B. There is a listing on the back of the box with all of the engines it will fit and they have 262-400ci from '55 to '95 with the exception of the 400 BB from 70-72. The person at AutoZone may ask you what year the car is and tell you they don't have any for that year, blah, blah, blah but that is just the person not knowing anything except how to punch numbers into a computer. Ask to speak with someone else and explain the situation, they should be able to pull up the right gaskets.

[Modified by sharklover, 3:47 AM 1/26/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket?

Quick Reply: Rams Horn Exhaust Gasket?