C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Bracket Problem....still......

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 08:12 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Bracket Problem....still......

Gang,

I know there are a lot of members out there with Headers on their SB's. Since my header install I was able to rig up a make shift alternator bracket using the old one that mounted to the driver side ram horn. It's not working as well as I had hoped:(. It's not sturdy enough to keep the alternator from moving a little bit when I rev the engine. Once it moves a little closer to the crank pulley the belt slips a little and you can imagine the noise it makes. It usually only occurs when I hit 60 MPH, but with me having to drive back and forth to work on the interstate, 60MPH is a little bit too slow. I need those of you who have purchased an aftermarket bracket to post here and let me know what your currently using, and where I might purchase it. I don't want to embarrass Corvette drivers every where by driving down the road with that awful screeching noise bellowing out from under the hood :) Thanks
Old 01-25-2002, 08:14 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Alternator Bracket Problem....still...... (Warp70)

Summit sells a header alt bracket for Dynomax (made by Dynomax) headers. BRB, and I'll have a link to it. :smash:
Old 01-25-2002, 08:18 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Default Re: Alternator Bracket Problem....still...... (rainman69)

This should be it:

WLK-88301 ALTERNATOR BRACKET FRONT MOUNT $14.95

It's on backorder, but I'm sure that JEGS or someone can get it for you.

[Modified by rainman69, 5:18 PM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-25-2002, 08:26 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Alternator Bracket Problem....still...... (rainman69)

get the alternator bracket for a 72 or later. It is solid cast iron or aluminum in the later models and bolts to the front of the head, not the headers. Anything that mounts to the header bolts is asking for trouble...

Chris
Old 01-25-2002, 08:38 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: Alternator Bracket Problem....still...... (71roadster)

get the alternator bracket for a 72 or later. It is solid cast iron or aluminum in the later models and bolts to the front of the head, not the headers. Anything that mounts to the header bolts is asking for trouble...
Mark Smith told me about that a while back, but I guess I wasn't smart enough to listen.......chrome pretty.....ooooohhhhhhhh I got caught up in the look and forgot about functionality. Maybe I will go to the NCRS show in Kissimmee tomorrow.....I am sure I could pick one up down there at the sawp meet for a good price...What do you guys think??????
Old 01-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Warp70
Racer

Well I went ....and I did get one for twenty bucks! Not too bad a price though it was pretty rusty. I have a friend who is going to sand blast if for me, then I paint it and install. It should do the trick :D
Old 01-26-2002, 10:04 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I am using the two piece mount that is sold in Summit and Jegg's catalogues. It's chrome, and works just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Bracket Problem....still......

Quick Reply: Alternator Bracket Problem....still......