C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 04:28 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Wiper relay

On a '69, where is the wiper relay located? Is this an under dash or perhaps a firewall installation (or neither)? Also, any ideas on exactly what it does?

Thanks in advance. I'm slowly trying to rebuild my wiper system (electrical and vacuum) so that it works.

Regards, Mark :flag :chevy
Old 01-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Wiper relay (marky mark)

If you are talking about the wiper relay vacuum valve, it is located under the pass side fenderwell on early 69s and on the firewall driver's side just behind the brake booster on later 69s. It controls whether the wiper actuator opens or closes the wiper door when you switch on the wipers with the wiper switch or use the wiper door vacuum overide pull down underneath the steering column. The same GM relay valve also is used up underneath the nose between the headlights as the headlight relay valve to control the headlight actuators that flip up the headlight doors using the light switch or the headlight vacuum overide switch under the column. A good link is this one: http://vetteworks.tripod.com/techdocuments/Vaccum.html

Good luck! :cheers:

[Modified by Marks69BB, 5:12 PM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-26-2002, 07:00 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Wiper relay (marky mark)

The wiper relay on my '72 was factory installed on the console tied to the shifter boot stupid location, but that's where is was....it was a mystery relay to me for over 5 years, now that I have rewired the entire car, well allmost anyway....I know....

GENE
Old 01-26-2002, 12:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Wiper relay (mrvette)

There are three relays in the 68 to 72 wiper/wiper door system. One is a vacuum relay on the passenger side wheelwell that opens and closes the wiper door. There is an electrical/vacuum relay under the driver side dash attached to the back of the tach. This relay takes an electrical signal from the switch and changes the vacuum path to the vacuum relay on the wheelwell an "tells" it to open the door. The last relay is an electrical relay under the console on the passenger side. This relay controls the wiper motor for high, low and washer operation. The locations may be a little different since Chevy always seemed to move this stuff around from year to year but the location I have given is where they are on my '71. All my stuff works execpt the electrical/vacuum relay on the back of the tach sticks sometimes and keeps the door from closing. All I do when I get home is take a screwdriver or something like that and give it a little "technical tap" and all is well until the next time it decides to stick.
Hope this helps
John

[Modified by theandies, 10:04 AM 1/26/2002]
Old 01-26-2002, 02:49 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Wiper relay (theandies)

Thanks all. This is the electrical relay I was asking about. I'll take the console apart and have a look sometime and see if it's there (or used to be there more likely). Thanks, Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper relay

Quick Reply: Wiper relay