C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carter Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 01:12 AM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carter Carb?

I have been thinking about putting a Carter carberator in my '76. I've heard that they are very trouble free.
The engine is a '72 crate 350 w/high compression heads & 4 bolt mains(compression between 135-145 in each cylindar)
The engine has a moderate cam and a holly street dominator aluminum intake.
Is a Carter Carb a good choice, and what size?

Drive On,
TJ
Old 01-25-2002, 03:17 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Carter Carb? (TJRed76)

Is a Carter Carb a good choice, and what size?
I am running a Carter 750 on my car right now. I haven't had any problems (except my adventure with removing the secondary vacuum flap). I believe the Carter, Edelbrock, and I think Rochester are all the same carb sold under different brand names. As far a size goes, I am sure someone can chime in and help out with that, there are carb size calculators that can help also.

[Modified by Maurice, 9:23 PM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-25-2002, 03:27 AM
Apeiron
Advanced

Default Re: Carter Carb? (Maurice)

The Carter AFB is the same as the Edelbrock Performer. The Edelbrock Performer Qjets are the same as various Rochester Quadrajets.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been running with a Carter 625cfm carb with electric choke for about 2 years with no problems. The carb worked great right out of the box. I did some research before I purchased it, and this is what I came up with. The Carter AFB carb was either licensed/sold to Edelbrock some years ago. Thus the performer carb line from Edelbrock. Federal Mogul aquired the Carter product line and began selling the Carter carbs again. Now I'm not positive, but I read somewhere that both the Carter and Edelbrock carbs are really made by another company (possibly Weber?). Either way, the Carter and Edelbrock are basically the same carb. One thing I have not figured out is why Carter has a 625cfm carb and the Edelbrock version is rated at 600cfm.

There are a lot of arguments regarding proper cfm. My engine had a 750cmf Q-jet, but I decided to switch to a 625cfm for more throttle response. I never rev above 5000rpm, so I'm not concerned about top end power. Even then, I've read mags about engine build ups with anywhere from 600cfm up to 750cfm on a 350ci. Anything above 750cfm is really to high and would bog down the engine. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this topic.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-26-2002, 09:16 PM
JD/76-ZZ4
Heel & Toe

I started with a 795 Edel Qjet which appeared too much for the engine...I bought a Performer 600 which ran pretty good except it would start to fade about 95mph+...This is even after going one size up on the secondary jets....I had the Qjet retuned and now I seem to have the best of ends with it....
Old 01-27-2002, 01:59 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

I have the Edelbrock 1406, 600cfm on my 72. Nice carb :) One reason that the factory put 750 or 795 Q-Jets on these cars was because the primary throtles are smaller and the secondaries are huge. This way the engine got what it needed high up in the rpm's and had sufficent air/fuel down low.

One thing to watch for with the Edelbrocks is the linkage adjustment. I may be wrong, but I think they take more throw to WOT than a Q-jet or Holley. So if you don't check and adjust the cable properly, you never get the carb wide open.

Get notified of new replies

To Carter Carb?

Quick Reply: Carter Carb?