C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with LS-5 timing marks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 12:21 AM
Drache
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with LS-5 timing marks

Trying to set my ignition timing today, and I can only see the edges of the "teeth" on the plate that is supposed to have the degree marks on it. The water pump and idler wheel are in the way, and I can't see anything but the tips of the teeth. I've tried to stick my head in there with the engine off as far as I can to see, with no luck. The motor has been painted, and I can't see any degree marks on the plate except there may be an "A" on the driver's side of the plate. Even using a mirror, I can't see much. It looks like the paint is covering any marks that may be on the plate. I cannot reach the plate with my hand to clean it or mark it. There are six or eight teeth on the plate, and they all appear to be of equal size and spacing.

:confused: My question is: does anyone have a picture or description of what degrees the teeth on the index plate equate to on a stock '71 LS-5 big block? Does it start at 0 on the driver's side or some degrees after? What degree does the last tooth equate to?

I have the owner's, shop, chassis service, assembly, Haynes, and Chilton manuals, plus a couple of other books on BBCs, but I cannot find a picture of timing marks like mine in any of them. I also searched the forum archives. I seem to recall seeing two different plates like this before, one that starts at 0 degrees, and another that starts at a couple of degrees ATDC. I don't know if the "A" that I can see on the driver's side of the plate means "after" or "advance," and I don't remember if each tooth equates to 2 or 4 degrees, or what.

The engine is a 71 LS-5 with a/c and power steering, mostly stock, engine-driven fan, etc. Thanks!!
Old 01-25-2002, 12:50 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Please help with LS-5 timing marks (71 BHG 454)

Yes those timing marks are a pain to see, took me forever to find them the first time I was messing with the timing. If you still have an emissions label (I don't know if they had these in 71) it will show what each tooth represents, at least it did on my 73, If I had the car here I'd look for you, unfortunately it's not. Hopefully someone will chime in with which tooth is what. The biggest notch should be zero, I do remember that much on mine.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-25-2002, 12:58 AM
greg454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Please help with LS-5 timing marks (71 BHG 454)

Well, I think I can help.
I went through that last summer and when I finally could read them I drew myself a picture. This is what mine is.

<16
<12
<8
<4before
<0
<4 after

Hope this helps :D
Old 01-25-2002, 01:03 AM
Drache
Instructor

Default Re: Please help with LS-5 timing marks (73 LS-4)

Oh jeez... thanks, it is on the emissions label! :bb I swear I looked at that today to find it! That part was covered by the hood support.

I'll go back to my hole now :conehead

Get notified of new replies

To Please help with LS-5 timing marks

Quick Reply: Please help with LS-5 timing marks