C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes and b. line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 11:21 PM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brakes and b. line replacement

Hey Guys,
This is my first posting. :D I am in the process of replacing the clutch, so the vette is sitting on ramps at all four corners. I have noticed brake fluid leaking down all but drivers rear tire. It has not moved in two weeks. I also noticed, before throwout bearing failed, that my brakes worked poorly when first driving off and then improved after five min. or so. To my question. If I need new calipers would it be better to switch to the Wilwoods? Benefits ? I am not concerned with orginality. On the brake lines. How difficult is it to replace the entire brake line system with the body on ?
Thanks Stephen

[Modified by 71stingraybigblock, 3:22 AM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 11:30 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: brakes and b. line replacement (71stingraybigblock)

Brakes are our friend! Replacing the calipers sounds like a good idea. An upgrade to something like the Wilwood, in my opinion, is also good.

I've read and heard from others that replacing the brake line that runs to the rear under the body is impossible to replace without lifting the body a few inches off the frame. Others may have tried and suceeded so I'd ask if anyone actually has done it, what it was like. The other brakes lines aren't so bad.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:38 PM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: brakes and b. line replacement (78Vette-SA)

Hey Joe, I was afraid to hear something like that. As I have looked over the brake lines it seemed either impossible or a very difficult job. The good thing is that I have no leaks, but thought that if I am spending the money on all new calipers and rotors I might as well do the lines.

Thanks
Stephen (71stingraybigblock)

[Modified by 71stingraybigblock, 3:38 AM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 11:59 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: brakes and b. line replacement (78Vette-SA)

one thing to consider is the tranny. I have an auto so the crossmember is just bolted in. I think I can replace the long line by removing the crossmember BUT I didn't get to that job yet so dunno for sure. The manual cars have the crossmember welded in so that really make it hard. I want to do both cars so it will mean jacking up the body on one of them for sure. those camper jacks that were here last week look like the tool to do just that. :smash:
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 11:00 PM 1/24/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To brakes and b. line replacement

Quick Reply: brakes and b. line replacement