C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should he buy it or not?

Old 01-24-2002, 08:57 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should he buy it or not?

I just checked out a 78 for a friend of mine who has wanted a Vette for a long, long time. For the past 16 months, he has been looking at Vettes in the under $4000 range. He enjoys mechanical repairs, so he has been looking for a decent conditioned Vette in need of drivetrain work to keep the price affordable. I think we saw one today that fits the bill.

This Vette is a former 1988 show winner, that was put in storage since 92. The current owner is a mechanic and started to do a frame off restoration in his shop. The shop is in the process of moving to a different location so the partially disassembled Vette is up for sale. The engine and transmission are out. Brake calipers off. Body mounting bolts off. Seat & carpets out. Frame good.

The suspension rubber parts have been upgraded to polyurethane. Monospring rear suspension. Could be aftermarket front springs. The L48 engine has a fresh ring & bearing job. New radiator. Minimal rust around support. Transmission looks untouched.

The stock black interior will clean-up well without much effort. The black metallic paint is decent and shiny with very few blemishes. Glass-tops, new tires, 49,000 miles, new monza mufflers & unmounted headers, & all of the miscellaneous small parts & brackets included.

$5500.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-24-2002, 09:03 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (nunus79)

That sounds like a steal if you are the mechanical type....I know if I had the money I would be interested in that car (sounds like a fun project).
Old 01-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (nunus79)

I would be highly suspicious of a Vette which had to have it's motor rebuilt after 49,000 miles. Either the speedo has been jiggered or someone did very nasty things to it.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:39 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (Mac)

I would be highly suspicious of a Vette which had to have it's motor rebuilt after 49,000 miles. Either the speedo has been jiggered or someone did very nasty things to it.
According to the current owner, they were in the process of rebuilding the engine since it was pulled out. But he found the engine condition to be good, so they just reused the stock rods & pistons. I guess, since you have it out it is wise to install new bearing & rings? It is not unusual in Hawaii to find low, low mileage vehicles. The overall condition kind of supports the claimed mileage. But of course, I could be wrong.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:14 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (Ed T)

Personally, I'd say that's fair for the shape the car seems to be in from your description. Back together, that puppy'd probably sell for close to 8 or 9K.

JB

'78SA

[Modified by JB, 12:15 AM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-25-2002, 09:29 AM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (JB)

Try yo get it for a little less, even still it is not to bad a deal as long as your buddy doesn't have to depend on other people to do the work, plus it is a good feeling knowing, wow i built this. :cool: :cheers: :seeya ........
Old 01-25-2002, 09:39 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (Ed T)

I agree with Ed T here, $5500 and it's apart with the body off!!! (you did say frame off resto right) I agree with while the motor was out to go through it but as said will it run, who did the work? If I had $5500 to spend on the C3 I would look for car that is clean and needs some work but not final assembly. They are out there.
Just my .02
JoeB
Old 01-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (SevenT1Shark)

Sounds WAY High in my opinion
Old 01-25-2002, 12:51 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (Alwyn678)

Sounds like it was in pretty bad shape for a former 'show winner'! Someone must have really abused it to require a frame-off! I'd be skeptical as hell unless he can get it for half that price to ease the later element of surprise when stuff is found to be missing.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (Marks69BB)

Lay $3500 on the hood :yesnod: ; if the owner reaches for it, you've made a deal ;) When sellers see $$$, they're tempted :cool: g'luck :cheers:
Cruz
Old 01-25-2002, 07:35 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Should he buy it or not? (Cruzmeisters)

Lay $3500 on the hood :yesnod: ; if the owner reaches for it, you've made a deal ;) When sellers see $$$, they're tempted Cruz

I concur!!!!! Money talks! How many buyers in Hawaii want that car? And if the seller's goal is to sell the car before he moves, then money will talk. If your had that car and needed to sell it, how optimist would you be that you could unload it quickly at a good price???? :confused:

I just sold a truck for $9,400 that was easily worth $12,000+ on a Dealer's lot but barely $8,000 on trade-in. I took the cash because I was tired of waiting for top dollar and not sure if I'd ever get it. :(

Get notified of new replies

To Should he buy it or not?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should he buy it or not?