C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual Exhaust?

Old 01-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Kloppy80
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual Exhaust?

Does anyone know where I can purchase true dual exhaust for my 80? :eek:
Old 01-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (Kloppy80)

http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/

Maybe Ecklers and Mid-America too.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:15 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (Neo Fender)

Mid America sells a kit for the stock manifolds for 79-82's.
I'm think about this too and am going to deal with Allen's . I bought parts from them before and they were really nice people.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:21 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Kloppy80,

My Mid-America catalog (not so current) has a dual system (no mufflers) listed for '80-'82. It's 2-1/2" and according to my catalog lists for $200-$250 for aluminized and $300-$350 for stainless steel. It's listed for "off-road use only" because of emissions requirements & federal regs & such.

You should probably check out the Forum vendors Web sites; it's likely they have similar systems.

You may also want to check if any of your local muffler shops will install a system. I don't think it's a lot more expensive to have that done. It gives you the advantage of a welded system (assuming you're not going to weld yours yourself) and you can probably try out different mufflers before you buy. Just a thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GANEY - DON'T READ THIS! YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW **** I AM ABOUT EXHAUST SYSTEMS :lol:

NOW, to all you '80-'82 owners: I've got to get a good look at the underside of one of your cars someday. I guess you have something other than the two hole trans crossmember that I have (a crossmember with a bend in it?). Anyway, it looks like you could take a dual system like Mid-America's and run a single 2 pipe in -- 2 pipe out catalyic converter and be legal. At least, probably close enough that no one would give you any grief on a visual inspection. How close would a system like that be to having true dual with an X-pipe?
Old 01-24-2002, 08:58 PM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I had a local muffler shop make/install a custom aluminized dual exhaust system on my '82 when I had the headers installed. True duals no cat, no inspection here. It cost me $250.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (jerryp58)

Jerryp58: I live in Centreville VA... Which isn't to far from you. I will be working under my 1980 this saturday if you want to come by and take a look!!!

Robert
Old 01-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (Bluewasp)

The mid america system sucks! Just buy some hedman 68300 headers (the ones w/ airtubes have a different partnr!!!) and install an older style trans crossmember w/ the 2 holes. Then have a shop make some nice pipes straight backward. I did it like that too, beats the cheezy mad system.

Marck
Old 01-25-2002, 03:36 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (Twinnie)

most shops will install some sweet setups...cheaper than pre-fab.
also they will fit better. most shops wont remover your cats...(unless they want to lose their license) I had to install my new headers and then deliver my car with exhaust removed.
They did a great install, I had a cross-over placed at the end of the tranny.
I provided the mufflers too...Very very professional...and cost me $115 for everything.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:39 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (ylose)

I agree. Another vote for local shop. I actually bought an allens setup and had big troubles getting it to fit properly so just took it into shop and they custom fabbed something for $350 from my 68301 Heddman headers back. Very happy.
-terry
Old 01-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Bronco Rider
Advanced

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (jerryp58)

Look at fine tuning your last thought. Purchase a high flow dual inlet / outlet cat with the air port. That is as close to dual exhaust as you can get and should be smog legal.
Currently running dual exhaust with dual cats with a 2 chamber flow masters on an 81. In the process of purchasing the high flow cat with dual in/out. Current system is very tough on the ears but it did bring life the car back to life.
Bronco Rider
Old 01-25-2002, 11:21 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (Bronco Rider)

Ah, so you're actually going to switch from dual cats to a single (dual in/out) cat?

I guess I didn't have an original idea after all :rolleyes:

I'd be really interested in hearing what you think of the results (performance changes, resonance changes, dB changes).

Jerry
Old 01-26-2002, 01:31 PM
82 X-fire
5th Gear

I went with the mid america "off road kit",on my 82.It does not fit even close to right.The curves down from the manifolds curve to quick and have to be cut and extended.Then the curve by the crossmember hits and has to be cut and fxed there too.I would go to an exhaust shop if I had it t do again!!! chris
Old 01-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Kloppy80
Advanced

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust? (82 X-fire)

If we are talking about the same Allen's, they are Located in Logansport Indiana and they took me through their shop. They said they sell Ecklers their exhaust and will do the install there, but wasn't something they like to do. Anyway, at this point, I think I'm still confused as to what I would like to do and what I can get by with legally. It's strictly for street so I won't be on any track. Maybe I'll wait until my 80 turns 25, and not worry about emission testing after that! Thanks for all your input. Kloppy80 :cheers:
Old 01-26-2002, 09:15 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The exhaust system on my '75 is from Allens. Not too far of a drive for me so I just went there and picked it up. Nice guy to deal with. I got lost on the way there and he waited around for me to show up.

I have mixed feelings on the exhaust system though. It didn't match up with my headman headers on the drivers side. Had to make several trips to a local muffler shop to have the collector section tweaked. This I can accept since it's impossible to know where an aftermarket header will end up.
What pisses me off is my mufflers have 2¼" tail pipes and the rest of my system is 2½". That makes absolutely no sense.

After a lot of cussing, welding and hammering it turned out ok.

Just the BS you have to go thru when you un-PC your car by @#$@ canning the cat. My local muffler guy installed a dual system in a 62 Olds of mine from the manifolds back for $210.00 and it was a true work of art. He wouldn't touch my Vette without installing a pair of tree hugging hippie cats.

Get notified of new replies

To True Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True Dual Exhaust?