C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 02:11 PM
techcote
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed

I am currently repairing a rusty 66. I know a lot about repairing rust from cutting it out to welding to making it look original. I would be glad to help someone.
What I need:
I am wondering if anybody has photographs of a frame close up. They should be the same for a C2 or C3. I would like to put the rear swing arm mount point area into original condition. It has been fixed incorrectly but I dont have any good reference. Do you? :smash:

Man...you folks have been great. I have some great pictures now and a few more on the way. My frame has clearly been abused but I am getting closer to getting it right now. Thanks. Don't hesitate to send more photos. If I can help anyone with what I learned so far such as tools to use to cut and grind quickly, let me know.

[Modified by techcote, 6:36 PM 1/24/2002]

[Modified by techcote, 12:47 AM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 02:22 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (techcote)

You may get a quicker response if you put this in the C1&C2 forum.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:37 PM
techcote
7th Gear

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (scottw)

Thanks Scott. I screwed up but I think posting in both places will actually work since the frames are very similar. Have a good one.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:56 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (techcote)

Saw these of a midyear in the factory resto forum. The ones at the bottom of the post are very LARGE. Enjoy!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=223181

[Modified by Marks69BB, 12:58 PM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 02:59 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a drawing on page 67 of "How to restore and modify your corvette" that has measurement for all the key points on the frame. You can probably find the book at barnes and nobles or borders. That where I got mine. Good luck

Chris
Old 01-24-2002, 03:26 PM
techcote
7th Gear

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (Marks69BB)

Very helpful! I have to figure out if the frame is different from a coupe to a convertible. My frame has some extra metal plates at the point where the rail meets the turn-up. Same point where the swing arm pivits. I have to figure out if that was fixed wrong or different for some other reason. Keep it coming!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (Marks69BB)

Saw these of a midyear in the factory resto forum. The ones at the bottom of the post are very LARGE. Enjoy!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=223181

[Modified by Marks69BB, 12:58 PM 1/24/2002]

That is a thing of beauty - a work of art!!

Old 01-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (Tex71BB)

Techcote - I hope I don't get your hopes up, but there was a link to an old scanned article on how to race-prep a C2/C3 frame and welding reinforcement of the corners with gussetts (sp) is discussed in detail. It may help you if I could find the friggin link! :mad Maybe someone else will chime in who remembers it and hopefully is better organized than I am! :crazy:

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that the frame is identical regardless of whether it's a coupe or vert.

[Modified by Marks69BB, 2:33 PM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 06:59 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"Techcote - I hope I don't get your hopes up, but there was a link to an old scanned article on how to race-prep a C2/C3 frame and welding reinforcement of the corners with gussetts (sp) is discussed in detail. It may help you if I could find the friggin link! :mad Maybe someone else will chime in who remembers it and hopefully is better organized than I am! :crazy:"

http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c3/ChevyPower.pdf
Old 01-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed (45ACP)

Thanks 45ACP! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed

Quick Reply: Frame Repair Tips and Photos of Frames for Restoration needed