C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys.

I'm trying to figure a way to run AOL from work on the only PC connected to a network. All the other terminals aren't PC's. I can access the web using the network on this PC, but I want to run AOL so they cannot directly monitor my usage of the net. I don't know a whole lot about networks, but I'm guessing this is something they can monitor in the IS dept.

The PC has a modem and AOL is installed, AOL recognizes & initializes the modem but, I think because of the network involvement, it cannot connect with AOL!

What else do I need to change? Maybe I can't do this.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:58 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys. (1970 Stingray)

Hmm... I know you can connect to AOL over another network. For example, If you have cable modem or DSL service you can set your connection type in the AOL setup to connect over the internet or a TCP/IP connection.

Give that a try.

Robert

EDIT: I was able to connect to AOL over DSL connection with version 4.0 or 5.0. But If i remember right you need to hit the setup icon on the logon screen and change the connection type to either TCP/IP or Internet. I would have to see the setup window to tell you which one to pick. After you change the connection type and it still doesn't work then I would say that the IT dept is blocking the ports needed to log into AOL.....

[Modified by Bluewasp, 11:01 AM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, if you have a modem there's technically no reason why AOL shouldn't work, provided it was installed properly and none of its elements(dial up networking) were removed. What problems are you having connecting to AOL over the modem?
-Steve
*edit* You can connect over TCP/IP, but the connection to AOL throug the network would be noticed by IS like any other connection. He may have to set up proxies in the AOL software if he decides to go that route, and that's a definite "big brother" involvement.

[Modified by Pacin'California, 8:03 AM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 12:01 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. I think AOL has a setting for connection type in settings. Just make sure its set to use the modem. Can you hear dialtone, like its actually trying to dial? Maybe your work has a digital phone line that doesn't support modems? Maybe you need to dial 9 first or something to get an outside line?
good luck
-terry
Old 01-24-2002, 12:05 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys. (Bluewasp)

Hmm... I know you can connect to AOL over another network. For example, If you have cable modem or DSL service you can set your connection type in the AOL setup to connect over the internet or a TCP/IP connection.

Give that a try.

Robert

EDIT: I was able to connect to AOL over DSL connection with version 4.0 or 5.0. But If i remember right you need to hit the setup icon on the logon screen and change the connection type to either TCP/IP or Internet. I would have to see the setup window to tell you which one to pick. After you change the connection type and it still doesn't work then I would say that the IT dept is blocking the ports needed to log into AOL.....

[Modified by Bluewasp, 11:01 AM 1/24/2002]
It does work with the TCP/IP setting---but doesn't that still allow the IS department to monitor? Or is that setting somehting they can't access?

When AOL tries to connect via phone line, I get a response back that a connocted couldn't be made. Prior to them installing the Network, AOL worked just fine.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:05 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys. (Pacin'California)

Well, if you have a modem there's technically no reason why AOL shouldn't work, provided it was installed properly and none of its elements(dial up networking) were removed. What problems are you having connecting to AOL over the modem?
-Steve
That is a BIG NO NO.. I wouldn't connect to the Internet via modem on a work machine that is connected to the business network!! :D

Keep in mind they can find out if you are using a modem to connect to the Internet.

[Modified by Bluewasp, 11:10 AM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

It does work with the TCP/IP setting---but doesn't that still allow the IS department to monitor? Or is that setting somehting they can't access?

When AOL tries to connect via phone line, I get a response back that a connocted couldn't be made. Prior to them installing the Network, AOL worked just fine.
It all depends if they are looking... Yes, if they are looking for that type of traffic over the nework they will be able to see your AOL connection but they might not care. I wouldn't however connect a modem to the internet while you are connected to your company's internal network.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

That is a BIG NO NO.. I wouldn't connect to the Internet on a work machine that is connected to the business network!! :D

Keep in mind they can find out if you are using a modem to connect to the Internet.
:eek: :( :( :cry
Old 01-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

That is a BIG NO NO.. I wouldn't connect to the Internet on a work machine that is connected to the business network!! :D

:eek: :( :( :cry
:D... Sorry, but I work in the Enterprise Security Dept for company xxxx, and I run scans on the network to find things that shouldn't be there. Like people using modems, and I do other things as well. ;)

Old 01-24-2002, 12:14 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Yes, if they are looking for that type of traffic over the nework they will be able to see your AOL connection but they might not care.
I think THEY would care....a guy in another department was reprimanded for visiting the Wall Street Journal Site. And he works in the IS Dept!!! :eek: They told him, it wasn't an appropriate "work-related" site. :confused:
Old 01-24-2002, 12:17 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Yes, if they are looking for that type of traffic over the nework they will be able to see your AOL connection but they might not care.

I think THEY would care....a guy in another department was reprimanded for visiting the Wall Street Journal Site. And he works in the IS Dept!!! :eek: They told him, it wasn't an appropriate "work-related" site. :confused:
Well then, I wouldn't install AOL on your work system and I wouldn't use a modem... They can detect a modem on your system. There are so many tools out there that you wouldn't believe what some of them can do!! cool stuff

[Modified by Bluewasp, 11:18 AM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Where I work they don't care if you go to sites on the Internet as long as you get your work done... An AOL connection wouldn't be permitted on the network...
Old 01-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, go to http://www.megaproxy.com. It's a good way to disguise what you're going to.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:34 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends if they are looking... Yes, if they are looking for that type of traffic over the nework they will be able to see your AOL connection but they might not care. I wouldn't however connect a modem to the internet while you are connected to your company's internal network.
I have never been a fan of AOL.....actually it does stuff on its own...or used to, to peoples dns,ip, and network settings automatically causing issues if you dial into other isps also.

If you do this.....a modem connect via phone line to a network connected machine...you have now created a an unsecure hole and you just opened your company up to :
-hacking
-virus
-malicious activity
-etc.

your IT dept. (hopefully) has proper hacker-known ports blocked, virus protection running, an email sniffer, a firewall, proxy, etc running on the connections that are open to the outside world.....these protect you from Melissa Virus, trojan horse, etc. Is this Big-Brother...well only if they use it that way.....other wise...it saves all your data from hackers having fun at your expense !
Our place of business let a virus in a few months ago...we shut down incoming mail to upload and prepare for a virus coming around, we have this setup so that the 10,000 users can still transfer email and data and check calendars for meetings.....some idiot ( IT contractor -what do ya know) decided to be "cool" :cool: and re-configured his mail settings to get his mail from his company, instead of through us, bypassing our email-sniffer....(we left internet open for video conferencing and internet related info as this wasnt where the virus was coming through).
Well that moron brought in the virus and infected us :smash: ....we had to shut down our mail on the internal side too for the 10,000 people...so they had to wait till the virus was sniffed out of the 10,000 mail accounts and all the internal mail and external mail in progress...
so...just a little scenario for you... :)
I dont want the IT dept to :smash: you.....
if you want...run it on tcp/IP and if they FUSS about it...say sorry didnt
know this was a :nono: and ask that they un-install it.
personally i wouldnt run AOL if i was you...run MSN or something...
:D

[Modified by ylose, 10:46 AM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 12:42 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Okay, so I thought you were trying to surf unmonitored, not just use aol. If you want to just check your aol mail, you don't need the client, just go to http://aolmail.aol.com with your web browser. If you want to IM with people just sign on with aim.

You can configure your client to log in via tcp/ip if you really want to use it,

From the sign-on screen:
1) Click on Setup
2) Click on Add Location
3)Click on "Select a connection using one of these available devices. make sure Tcp/ip is selected in the dropdown list.

It should take you back to the sign-on screen after that. Make sure "ISP/LAN connection" is selected in the "select location" field and you should be able to sign on. If you can't it means your IT dept probably blocked port 5190. In that case the first part of my message should apply.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:20 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys. (Steve Straus)

Company fiirewall is blocking access :eek:
Old 01-24-2002, 01:34 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys. (MotorHead)

Connecting to AOL via a modem is definitely the wrong thing to do. If I was in IS I would cane you. And not because of company policy.

Use a site like www.megaproxy.com to surf and all your problems go away. There's 10s of ways they could monitor where you go and what you see, and it would be much too much work to explain them all.

Check your Internet Explorer settings though, is there a "Proxy Server" set?
Old 01-24-2002, 05:32 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys. (ddn)

Thanks guys, I'll give that site a go! Sounds easy enough.
Len

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys.

Quick Reply: Ok, Here's one for you computer/network guys.