C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richmond tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 08:51 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Richmond tranny questions

Looking at the Richmond Road Race 5 speed. Can;t afford the 6 and like the closer ratios that the Tremec with my new engine. Anyway, what would it take to replace the stock T-10, mounts, yokes, ujoints, etc. BTW also thinking about swapping 3.36 rear down to a 3.08 to work with the steeped first and drop the highway RPM's.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:00 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Richmond tranny questions (SteveG75)

Looking at the Richmond Road Race 5 speed. Can;t afford the 6 and like the closer ratios that the Tremec with my new engine. Anyway, what would it take to replace the stock T-10, mounts, yokes, ujoints, etc. BTW also thinking about swapping 3.36 rear down to a 3.08 to work with the steeped first and drop the highway RPM's.
The mount will need some modification to work with the five speed. It is not diffifcult, but does require some welding and cutting to the mount only. The yoke you will need is the same one used on the TH400. I'm not sure, but I believe you will need a different front U-joint for the yoke. The driveshaft length is fine, so no need to modify it. The shifter handle will be in the right spot, but you will need to get the right shift lever from Richmond if you plan to use the Long Eng. shifter(this is the shifter that Richmond recommends). As for the gears, I'm running my original 3.36 with it and I love it. It will work out the same in first gear as having a 4.30 rear with T-10. First gear is fun!! The 3.08's would be better for the highway, but personaly, I would not go to all of the trouble of switching from 3.36 to 3.08. There just would not be enough of a difference to make it worth the cost. Check out the foolowing link for some pics of my mount as it is now with the Five speed. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=185434 I also made a sketch of the needed mount modification for Flareside, who then put it in PDF format. Let him know if you need it.

Quick Reply: Richmond tranny questions