C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 12:11 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default More help needed...

...I posted a thread earlyer about my starting the car and getting a big puff of smoke out of the right hand side of the engine bay. Well SNK SKNR replaced the fusible link for me (and it was fried) but we're still not getting any juice in the system when he tried to jump the car. Any of ya'll have any advice? I'd be much appreciated.

:cheers:
Old 01-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: More help needed... (theanswriz42)

Uh oh. Electrical. Well, that is strange that nothing changed. Maybe check the main ground and also see if something in the starter area is touching the frame or engine. I guess it could be the starter itself also.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: More help needed... (Rhys)

I'm thinking it's not the starter because we're not getting any power at all. It's totally dead :sad: This has not been my last couple of nights let me tell ya.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:25 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

not to sound really dopy but when you say no power at all what do you mean? your just not getting any lights on the dash? have you checked with a meter or test light on the hot to the starter? seriously not enough information to provide any help. first, check battery. not only make sure that the nut securing the cable is tight, but make sure the battery contact block is still attatched to the battery! hey, i've seen it happen more than once! :eek: then use a tester of some type (preferably a meter that gives your voltage) to make sure you have power in the battery, then make sure you have power to the heavy wire on the starter. if so, next i would check the six pin connector mounted right up by the heater box. i had a similar situation a couple years ago where it just got so hot over time, it melted the connector and there was nothing holding the spades together. my hot off the starter to the ignition just separated at that connector and all of a sudden i'm coasting down the freeway and don't know why!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:42 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you check the IGN fuse in the fuse block? kinda basic i know but you would be amazed at how often that slips by
Old 01-24-2002, 09:05 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: More help needed...

Thanks guys, since the car isn't at my house...I'm going to check it out probably this weekend or next weekend. I appreciate all the help. By the way when I said I was getting no power, I meant that there were no lights on the dash or anything at all. No radio etc. I didn't notice any current going through the system.

Thanks again
Old 01-24-2002, 10:32 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I am not sure if this is your problem, but this was my problem. I wasn't getting any power at all not even the radio. I checked all the grounds...everything was ok. I check the battery terminals and couldn't see anything there. I went under the car and discovered that my starter wire running to the battery had come undone and was not making contact. I bolt the wire back down to the starter and TA-DA instant power. :) Just something to look at for future reference.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:58 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: More help needed... (bence13_33)

Thanks bence, I'm willing to try anything that could possibly save me $$$ in buying parts :D I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens when i get the time to look for any possible solution.

Get notified of new replies

To More help needed...

Quick Reply: More help needed...