C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a '79 & I'm working on a plan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 10:32 PM
Steve Linton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a '79 & I'm working on a plan

This is my first post so be patient. Here's the facts: '79 4 speed w/80k. The car has had some work...hookers, edlebrock performer intake & 650cfm carb. It sounds like an after market cam but I don't have any details. But...it needs a lot of work...body is ok, but needs paint. Front end is loose, not rocket science. I had the engine out to replace main seals, valve seals, & clutch. It runs out good, plenty of pep. Interior is a little rough, needs a good going thru.
I would kind of like to make this my "commuter" car. It gets a whopping 12mpg as it turns some pretty healthy R's at highway speeds. (3:50 something in the rear I think). I have noticed some articles about trans swapping, but they are talking about (barf) automatics. Can anyone here point me to websites, articles, or just good advice about putting a 5 or 6 speed in this car. I might even consider replacing the whole works (engine & tranny) and crating the original for safe keeping. Thanks in advance for any info that you throw my way.
"Stick"
Old 01-23-2002, 10:49 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: got a '79 & I'm working on a plan (Steve Linton)

Welcome!

For info, this is probably the best place. Many members have done various upgrades and swaps. Lots of us also have web sites with pics and info.

As an example, there is a current thread/topic on a Richmond 6-speed at:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=224207

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 9:52 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-23-2002, 10:54 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got a '79 & I'm working on a plan (78Vette-SA)

Welcome. If you're talking about an over drive manual, from Forte parts they modify Tremec 5 speeds to fit the bell housing. You need to mess with the tranny mount and driveshaft needs to be shortened. Also there's the Richmond 6 speed same tweaks to get it to fit if I'm not mistaken. Search the archives and you'll see this is a fairly common subject.

Scott
Old 01-23-2002, 11:20 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: got a '79 & I'm working on a plan (Scott78)

did you say 79 4 speed manual? they didnt make many of those compared to the autos :cheers:
Old 01-24-2002, 01:50 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: got a '79 & I'm working on a plan (QuickVet)

did you say 79 4 speed manual? they didnt make many of those compared to the autos :cheers:
That's what I thought too, but I keep seeing them in the autotrader. It's like everyone with a '79 4 speed moved to Oregon and is selling their cars.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:48 AM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Default Re: got a '79 & I'm working on a plan (QuickVet)

you are right about that.
Stats from the Corvette Black Book says only 4,062 4-speed manuals.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:48 PM
Steve Linton
Intermediate

Thanks all responders for the info. I'm please to have found this forum, I hope to be a contributor someday soon.
Thanks again,
"Stick" :yesnod:
Old 01-24-2002, 09:08 PM
jvm
Racer

Steve I have an 79 L82 also, Bubba has been into it so I'm unbubbaizing it. Working on the rear end now, next the front end. All my rubber bushing were shot. Yours are probaly also. Putting in Urathane. Gary Gruhala has been very helpful on getting me used parts, the ones bubba tossed, also has good prices on new parts look him up on the web. Good luck with your vette . If you need any help ask me or these guys on the forum Jim in New Mexico

Get notified of new replies

To got a '79 & I'm working on a plan

Quick Reply: got a '79 & I'm working on a plan