C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 06:06 PM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage?

It's been about 20 yrs since I put one of these puppies in and I can't remember. Stage 1 is for RV/Heavy duty and claims to be for "firm Positive shifts without loss of driver comfort. Stage 2 is for "Quickest possible shifts for high performance street use or for competitive events". Now my Q is if I want to get a nice crisp chirp when I get into it but a fairly regular drive if I take it easy. I'm not looking to get whiplash every time I drive the car, and I don't really want a hard bang if I'm just crusin' around. It sounds like the Stage 1 setup is what I want but I don't want to go to the trouble if it's not gonna bark. Would I be able to keep it smooth between gears if I go Stage 2 :smash:
Sorry but I need help :cheers:
Thanks in advance,
John

[Modified by n8370c, 5:07 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-23-2002, 06:43 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage? (n8370c)

I vote stage 2 (street/strip).

I used the RV/Towing setup for mine ( http://users.erols.com/jerryp58/corvette/bnmkit.htm ) and even thought it's a GREAT improvement, I wish I had gone with the street/strip. Of course, I say that, but I haven't driven in one with the street/strip setup. I went the other way because there were some comments here about it being a really hard shift that could possibly break the tires loose on highway entrance ramps, etc. :eek: . That sounded a little too radical for me.

You may want to consider putting an adjustable vacuum modulator in while you're down there. I used mine to push the shifts up the RPM range, making the shift a little harder. Now I really like the feel. If you do use the street/strip option and think it's too hard, you may be able to pull the shift points down the RPM range and soften it up some (maybe :confused: ). Either way, it's a nice mod that lets you customize your trans even more.

Good Luck & Please post your decision and results.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:27 PM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage? (jerryp58)

Thanks for the reply.
What does the vacuum modulater cost ? Is it an easy hookup, do I need to change anything else to put it in?
Old 01-23-2002, 10:17 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

The vacuum modulator should be available at any parts store. I got mine at Advance Auto for $12. It's a really easy install, especially if you're doing it while the car is up in the air for the shift kit. The exhaust was the only thing in the way of mine and that just made turning the wrench for the locking plate a little clumsy. It's a little can (at the lower front passenger side of my TH350) that is held in place with a locking plate (like the speedo cable at the trans). Once the one bolt and plate are removed, it slides out of the trans. Mine had a short rubber hose that connected to a hard line which worked its way up to the back of the intake, where it attached to a vacuum nipple via another hose.

The adjustable looks the same externally as the non-adjustable. But there's a screw in one end that changes the shift point. The instructions should say, but I think turn-in for higher shift points, turn-out for lower.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:31 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Hey John,
I recently (about two weeks ago) installed the B&M shift kit on my '77. I used the street and strip configuration and it feels great. I thought it was going to be really rough too listening to other people's comments, but its not bad at all. When I get on it, the back tires will break loose and chirp really nice. But when I take it easy, it shifts nice and firm but there is no whiplash.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:36 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage? (VTHokie77Vette)

I ran the street/strip (stage II) in my old car for 9 years...
rebuilt/bored over 350 with a 3.73:1 rear end...th350/w2000 stall..
this was a daily driver all year ...even in snow (no it wasnt a vette :lol: )

you will be happy with the outcome...its NOT too rough...
and IMHO - stage one isnt for a street ride...its not enough for our needs.

[Modified by ylose, 7:36 AM 1/24/2002]
Old 01-25-2002, 12:46 PM
98RKC
Melting Slicks

Thanks,
Stage 2 it is..... when I get the brake caliper done :smash:
Old 01-25-2002, 02:52 PM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

If you make it over on Sunday i will take you for a ride in the 88. It has a stage 2 and a stall speed. But, she shifts real hard. It,s all in the install as to how it shifts you can do diffrent things with the ***** in the shift kit and drill holes bigger ect. :cool:
Old 01-26-2002, 08:55 PM
JD/76-ZZ4
Heel & Toe

I had a Stage 2 installed and am pretty happy with it...The gears only "pop' when I stomp it...Under "normal" (around town)acceleration you can hardly tell the shifter kit is in...However be careful when stomping it when at about a 45deg turn (turning into traffic)....I hit it hard once and when it went into second I started fish tailing like crazy...However it does give you a rush when cruising and the tranny downshifts and the secondaries on the Qjet kick in...Hard, quick shift....
Old 01-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage? (JD/76-ZZ4)

I have a stage 2 in my 700-R4. The kit came from Trans-Go and includes all the necessary hardware to make it stage 1, 2, or 3. I'm going full manual when I get my ratchet shifter.

Get notified of new replies

To B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage?

Quick Reply: B&M Shift Kit : Which Stage?