C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Blacked-out
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please!

a friend of mine has a 75 with a 400 and headers in it. after driving it for a while the starter gets so hot the car wount start. He has a heat wrap on the starter which helps.....but not all the time. Will wraping the headers help?
Old 01-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (black_c-5)

This is the solution.

Old 01-23-2002, 06:17 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (paul79)

I agree with paul79. Those mini starters are great. I broke the bolts on a GM high torque starter. I replaced the bolts with grade 8 and then sheared the gear off of the starter. I have had no problems with the mini starter.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (black_c-5)

Forgot. I added a Moroso heat shield for extra insurance.

Old 01-23-2002, 06:39 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Moving the solenoid to a remote (cooler) location usually helps. Summit has a kit. Its basically an old Ford type solenoid. Its a lot cheaper than a new high torque starter!

PN SUM-G1750, $24.95

The cure for heat soak.

GM remote mount starter solenoid

Your GM starter solenoid has a tough enough life without soaking up all that exhaust heat. Relocate it to a cooler spot with our Remote Mount Solenoid. You can mount it just about anywhere, and it can serve as a junction for accessories like our remote starter switch. Instructions included.

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 5:40 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-23-2002, 08:10 PM
kenincanada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If starter bushings are worn , starter will "DRAG or DRAW" big amps when they are hot .This my sound weird but Ive seen guys take the garden hose to there starters for a quick start
Old 01-23-2002, 10:17 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

I have headers as well and after my engine build 4 years ago I rebuilt the starter as part of the job. I too had starting problems after driving on a hot day (plenty of those in Houston). I finally went to a parts store and got a rebuilt one which came with a small heat shield on the selenoid and have not had a problem since. You can probably get away with a rebuilt stock starter like I did.

[Modified by PatG, 8:18 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-24-2002, 01:07 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I like all of these solutions... especially relocating the solinoid... having that spot to connect the remote starter would be good...

I took the other route... I painted (after sandblast) the exhaust pipes with ceramic paint (BlackSatin from Techline Coatings) to keep heat off of everything including the solinoid. Very impressive product... its actually wierd to be able to touch the exhaust manifold before I can touch parts "attached" to the manifolds???
Old 01-24-2002, 01:28 AM
Brian-74-454
Safety Car

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (Carl in LA)

I went through more starters on my big block (with headers) than I care to discuss... But a mini starter (I used a Powermaster), a heat shield, AND the remote selonoid (can use any ford selonoid) did the trick for me... I had to use all 3 of these before mine stopped crapping out.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:38 AM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (kenincanada)

If starter bushings are worn , starter will "DRAG or DRAW" big amps when they are hot .This my sound weird but Ive seen guys take the garden hose to there starters for a quick start
I had a heat soak problem with my GMC 454 truck for a while. Until I could get to fixing the starter, I carry a two gallon bug sprayer full of water to spray the starter with. It got me through two weeks of a tight schedule till I could fix the starter but I got a few strange looks during that time :D

The mini starter is the best fix though... enough torque in that to crank anything, no matter how hot.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:54 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (gerry c)

All these options which involve spraying water on the starter, couldn't this cause the metal to contract and crack? I know it's not a good thing to pump cold water into the engine block for that reason, doesn't the same apply to the starter?
-Steve
Old 01-24-2002, 02:19 AM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (Pacin'California)

All these options which involve spraying water on the starter, couldn't this cause the metal to contract and crack? I know it's not a good thing to pump cold water into the engine block for that reason, doesn't the same apply to the starter?
-Steve
With the bug sprayer, I did not have that happen. I do not think I put enough water on fast enough to cause enough temp shock to hurt it. With a bug sprayer, it takes a few minutes to get a gallon out.... with a garden hose you can get a couple gallons in one minute.

Old 01-24-2002, 02:27 AM
kenincanada
Racer

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (gerry c)

who cares if it cracks. its JUNK any way
Old 01-24-2002, 08:58 AM
Blacked-out
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (kenincanada)

Thanks for all the feedback. I will relay all this info back to him. Except for the yahoo with the last negative remark :nonod: Must be a Pustang owner! :D

:flag
Old 01-24-2002, 09:43 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback. I will relay all this info back to him. Except for the yahoo with the last negative remark :nonod: Must be a Pustang owner! :D
I think he just meant that the starter's crap because it won't work.

On the remote soliniod--that solved all my hot start problems instantly. Don't bother buying the kit--a ford solinoid is six bucks at Autozone and all else you need is a couple bucks worth of wire and something heavy guage (very heavy wire or a copper strip) to short the old solinoid.

JB

'78SA
Old 01-24-2002, 12:30 PM
kenincanada
Racer

Default Re: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please! (JB)

Yes I was refering to the starter being junk not the car

Get notified of new replies

To Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please!

Quick Reply: Starter getting to hot and it wount start....help please!