C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 03:43 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose?

They sent the wrong part but the fittings look identical. Will I be able to use the pressure hose they sent as a return hose instead?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-23-2002, 04:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose? (Golden80)

Be careful here I had a problem with the wrong hoses and you can strip threads if your not careful, make sure you have the correct hoses !
Old 01-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose? (MotorHead)

If I remember correctly the return hose only has a fitting on one end, which makes it less expensive than the pressure side. You would have to cut one fitting off the pressure hose. It you do be sure to check the length before you cut.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose? (Golden80)

The Corvette return hose inside diameter is 0.375 inch. The Corvette pressure hose inside diameter is only 0.25 inch. So the Corvette pressure hose cannot be used by cutting off one end.

However, just about any other GM pressure hose from a pre 1980 vehicle could be used if the pipe length and bends at the pump looked close to the Corvette control valve pipe.

The Corvette return hose pipe that connects to the control valve (and all GM return pipes that connect to the gear) has a 5/8-18UNF threaded nut with a 45 degree double flare tube.

The pressure hose connection on all GM vehicles at the pump from 1963 through 1979 was also a 5/8-18UNF nut with a 45 degree double flare tube.
(After 1980 the pressure hose pump connection became a 16mm metric nut with an o-ring seal on the tube.)

So the pump connection on just about any GM pressure hose from 1963 through 1979 will thread into the control valve return port.

The return hose was low pressure and of thin wall construction. The pressure hose was thicker and designed to withstand high pressures.

All GM pressure hoses (except Corvette) have the same inside diameter (0.375 inch) as the return hose. You probably would have to use two screw clamps at the reservoir connection to get sufficient pressure to seal the heavier wall pressure hose. Just don't clamp down too hard or you could collapse the pipe that is part of the pump reservoir.

Get notified of new replies

To Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose?

Quick Reply: Ordered PS hose from Ecklers. Will a pressure hose work as a return hose?