C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good?

I was flipping through the latest Mid America catalog and ran across the Pertronix Flame Thrower. Has anybody had any experience with these? Are they any good? Do they stand up to their claims? Would I have to recurve the distributor or is it already set for total mechanical in by 2500?

Does anybody recommend a different ignition? If so, why?

I currently have the original HEI in my 79.

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2002, 02:53 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good? (sharklover)

The flame thrower is a good coil..I run it...however their ignition products the ignitor II is not very dependable....Steer clear..By the way I am running points..Check with lars on points :yesnod:
Old 01-23-2002, 03:19 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody recommend a different ignition? If so, why?
I currently have the original HEI in my 79.
Thanks,
I don't know about the Pertronix....so I cant judge it....
I am running a MSD 6al ignition,blaster rattle-proof coil, and a MSD Billet-proof Distrib with HEI cap.
I know others have the 6a and the 6al....I have no complaints and love the improved starts and better RPMS that these ignitions feed the spark for !!! :D

BTW- I had a complete Accell system too, distrib, coil, etc....but the colors that ACCELL is using are HIDEOUS...bright yellow and an off puke green :U ....come on Mr. Gasket....get with the program... :U

[Modified by ylose, 1:27 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-23-2002, 03:34 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good? (ylose)

I have it with the Pertronix II. It's fine with the electronic conversion or points. I may convert back to points but will keep the coil.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:59 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good? (68shark)

The catalog doesn't say if it's the Pertronix II or not. All it says is it's a new HEI distributor with a Pertronix engineered module and coil combination which operates up to 7500 RPM without misfires - almost 3000 RPM higher than stock. That's it's claim. Do the stock HEI ignitions really have problems with misfires above 4500-5000? All this for $349.99
Old 01-24-2002, 11:46 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

That isn't what I have, I have the conversion kit that fits into your existing points distributor, with the flamethrower coil replacing the Delco unit. Looks stock (if you peel the label off). Your car is more modern though and already has the typical GM Hei setup. The Pertronix distributor may work up to 7500 as claimed but this feature is of little use on a fairly stock small block that is basically "done" before 6000. I'm no expert but I'd be inclined to stay with your stock unit, with perhaps the higher performance coil. Make sure you have good wires to go with it. Think your advance is already set optimum. I'd spend the $350 on something else. :cheers:
Old 01-24-2002, 01:43 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I may be a dissenting vote on this but I've had the Pertronix unit in my 74 for about 4 or 5 years now and have nothing but good things to say about it. Mine is the original unit with the magnetic ring that goes under the rotor. I've heard from others that the Pertronix II which is a lobe sensing unit was troublesome and caused delayed start problems. All I know is that I installed mine long ago and every time I check the dwell it's spot on and I haven't had any ignition problems whatsoever. I understand that if the unit goes bad it's dead (something points don't do) but that's true with any electronic ignition even an HEI. For absolute reliability you should stay with your points and do the required maintenance. If you want a maintenance free ignition go electronic. If you want a Pertronix, give them a call and see if you can get the original design. My $.02.

Get notified of new replies

To Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good?

Quick Reply: Pertronix Flame Thrower - any good?