C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 01:30 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 stuck in gear

My 69 4spd is stuck in gear. Pushing the clutch in and rocking the car does nothing. I can roll the car back and forth and it still wont come out. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

thanks
VC
:cheers:
Old 01-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Re: 69 stuck in gear (vcole@metrocast.net)

The shifter linkage under the car is probably bound up or has come loose. Crawl under the car and check all 3 levers, 1-2, 3-4, and reverse. Check the rods that connect to the levers. Hope this helps. Chuck
Old 01-23-2002, 02:09 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which gear?

In addition to Chuck's suggestions, check to make sure that the transmission interlock cable isn't keeping the linkage(s) from moving. Mine wound up resting on the linkage somehow, and all of a sudden, I couldn't shift 'til I got under the car and moved it back into place. :smash:
Old 01-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 69 stuck in gear (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck's right. The linkages are probably binding on each other. Mine was stuck in reverse due to the same problem. There is an alignment procedure in the AIM that should help eliminate this from happening if your shifter and linkages aren't eccessively worn. If it is reverse, another tip is always move the shifter into 2nd before you go up into reverse which gets the linkage in a position where it won't bind on you. Good luck.

[Modified by Marks69BB, 12:16 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-23-2002, 02:19 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: 69 stuck in gear (Marks69BB)

Happened to me last winter. I was stuck in two gears at the same time! I had to loosen the linkage and while someone works the shifter, position the levers in the upright position and reverse lever is forward(I think). This is done while the other person positions the shifter into neutral. Once done re-tighten the linkage.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:24 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 69 stuck in gear (1970 Stingray)

It happened to me a couple of times when I first got my car. After rebuilding the shifter and the tranny it still happened. I beleive I traced it to the bolts that hold the linkage to the transmission comming loose enough for the lingage to slip and then somehow retightening. After a liberal dose of threadlock, it has never happened again.

Even if that is not your particular problem, I highly recommend the locktight on the three bolts that I refer to. Trying to drive home in fourth SUCKS!

good luck
Chris
Old 01-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Probably jus the linkage is jammed. I would jack the car up and place it on stands. With the rear wheels in the air, you should be put the tranny in neutral with the shift levers. Mine gets jammed sometimes between reverse and first when I shift between tthe two gears too fast. It never really comes out of reverse before I try to put it in 1st.

Make sure you place the car on stands or block the wheels before taking car out of gear, you don't want it to roll over you! :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To 69 stuck in gear

Quick Reply: 69 stuck in gear