C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvetteforum Suggestion time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Corvetteforum Suggestion time!

Over the past year or two we've been working very hard on the infrastructure of Corvetteforum. We've done things like upgrade the server a few times, try out different BB scripts, etc...

We've also added automated Product Reviews, automated Tech Tips, the CF mall, the restoration store (5% Zip Products discount), the featured Corvette, new free home page software, events calendars, regional coordinators, and a few other things.

We've also spent a lot of time/money promoting the site. We've run ads in Corvette Fever, etc...

Now it's time again for you to tell us what you would most like to see on Corvetteforum As always, we get many of our best ideas from our members. This is your chance to tell us what is most important to you in the way of new features.

Please feel free to add your own choices to this poll.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (Troy Roberts)

Troy, kinda hard to improve the Internet's #1 Corvette Site!!! Thanks for the great place, see you again at Carlisle!!! :yesnod:
Old 01-23-2002, 01:35 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I love the changes made,

I added the "Unbiased database of products with lowest price vendor listed and rank based on service"

The number of times that I have looked up the price for several parts in 7-8 catalogs is staggering. It would be great if we could have a user updatable database that listed which vendors have the best prices on the most common products purchased, rather than a post that discusses each one individually. Of course a ranking of vendors would assist, since we all know that there is more to purchasing parts than the price.

That way we could choose based on price and vendor, without offending any supporting vendors. :)

Maybe Zip would be willing to do it as a price match thing to keep business here and supporting the forum???
Old 01-23-2002, 01:39 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for tents and booths at events. That would
A. Bring us to a gathering point
B. Show our sponsors just how big the forum is.

I can't wait to see how many of the vendors want to be in the spaces around ours!
Old 01-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

A "Parts Swap" area within each C section.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (paul79)

Need to be able to search for a username. For example, I can't remember the username for Paul79, so I want a wildcard search for "Paul".

Old 01-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Troy,
I was just thinking about this the other night.

How about putting a frequently asked questions forum in each generation section? I think it would decrease the amount of times a question pops up, like:

Which mufflers are best on a C3? What tires do you recommend? What headers are best? Etc.

As the mods see topics recurring, they could move them to the FAQ section for that generation. I realize it would create a bit more work for the mods but that would only be in the beginning. Once threads start getting moved over there and people realize the section is available, they won't have to post a topic and have us all reinvent the wheel just for their question.

I realize that is what the search feature is for, but sometimes it doesn't work as easy as we would all wish and people give up on the search and post their question.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Paul, it is getting hard to improve on the best product out there. I also like the other Paul's suggestion for a swap section. I certainly will support any new initiative the administration decides to promote to show my appreciation for this site.
:cheers:
Old 01-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (sharklover)

Good suggestion.

Keep 'em coming! :)
Old 01-23-2002, 03:09 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides handling the mildly annoying aspect of repeat questions, an FAQ could be configured to capture the rather amazing collective wisdom of the forum members. Of course, sometimes we have to be careful to separate knowledge from opinion, but there should be some way to organize both of those as they relate to particular subjects.

Typical example: C3 brakes. Very often, a new member says something like: "The right front caliper on the '76 I just bought is leaking fluid. Is this something I can fix with a kit, or should I take it to Midas down the street?"
The classic set of responses will be to inform the newbie that most old C3's have (or had) that problem; then someone will explain why; and several members will toss out helpful info about the practical options available, including the most popular vendors of stainless-steel-sleeved replacement calipers.

There must be some kind of forum/BBS-related software module that would allow you to capture the general consensus, while allowing an opportunity for a dissenting opinion. Perhaps you could formulate it similar to the polls, where you present a short reponse to the FAQ, and then allow members to express their degree of agreement... just a thought... Then, when a person clicks on the FAQ button for C3 brakes, they see the paragraph that answers their question, and they see that 90% of the replying members agree while 10% do not....
Old 01-23-2002, 03:15 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (Gator81)

The search function really sucks. I think it probably just needs to get re-written. Search functions are really hard to write.

FAQs would be great too..I like that suggestion. And maybe something like a "Engine Pics" or "Wheel & Tire Pics" page for each generation, a user could put that together though. It seems like "Lets see your engine" is a recurring topic.

Thanks Troy!!!

:flag
Old 01-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Troy Roberts
CF Co-Founder
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise In I Veteran
Cruise In II Veteran
Cruise In III Veteran
Cruise In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise In VII Veteran

Not sure who added the 'not view signatures option' but we have that already. Go into your profile under user options. :D
Old 01-23-2002, 05:35 PM
topless68
Melting Slicks

Troy,

In order to post "FOR SALE" of "WTB" items in the parts/cars for sale sections I think a few, if not all of the following should be required:

1. A member must reach a certain # of posts in order to post For Sale items.

2. Memeber's that post For Sale items must list, either publicly or privately, personal information such as two phone numbers, drivers license number, other info...

3. CF needs to set up guidelines and post them as a prerequisite for doing business on the forum board.

I think if some of these are implemented, we will see a little more honesty in transactions, less flaming of other members and derogatory posts, and not have the dishonest 'fly-by-nighters" run in and out of the forum. Of course, these are suggestions only and certainly more ideas might exist. And for the ones who scoff at the logging of personal info...remember, they don't have to buy/sell on this forum, it is a free service and have the option to sell elsewhere. :cheers:
Old 01-23-2002, 05:48 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (Paul Borowski)

A way to prevent posters from having their long butt signitures appear multiple times in a thread.
:mad
Old 01-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Not sure who added the 'not view signatures option' but we have that already. Go into your profile under user options. :D
Yeah, and that's a cool feature, which I've been using since it became available.

BTW, I voted for the database of products, but I also believe that the search program could be improved--I'd like to see the search results sorted by thread (as it was before), rather than viewing all the posts in a thread which contain the search words.

-Pedro
Old 01-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Troy

Congrats on the best Corvette site.
Have been thinking to e-mail the search suggestion, since you asked for suggestions, just threw it in quickly. I added for the guys:
Redo the transfer of archived topics to zeroforum so search can work good.

It was working fine right before the transfer of older topics from the other forum to zeroforum. (Some topics might be half of a C3 thread & half C4 thread in the same topic, etc. so something went wrong in the transfer.)
There have been several topics on the new search. Found one. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...289133#1289133
Expect you know that there are a lot of users of this forum who don't contribute by posting. Some :cool: of us have heard from some of them by e-mail & encouraged to join & post. Even if they won't, parts are generally the main focus so they are still buying parts from the supporting venders & advertisers.
This would lessen the need for a FAQ, & some repeat topics get new guys in.

:cool:
Old 01-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (Ganey)

I think Gator81's idea is fabulous. Of course, I like things just as they are as well. Good job Troy! :D :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Corvetteforum Suggestion time!

Old 01-23-2002, 07:58 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would suggest a seperate "poll" section for each "C" forum. It seems that the polls such as where are you from, what do you do for a living, Etc. are popular, but they might be better in there own area to less crowd the tech issues and questions.
Just my $.02
Old 01-23-2002, 09:03 PM
2ND77
Instructor

Ill Have to think a while...I really like it just the way it is.

Ron
Old 01-23-2002, 09:13 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Corvetteforum Suggestion time! (2ND77)

Actually I thought of a much better idea. I was just reading JRChurch's post.

Could we have a way to add a gold star, or "rank" such as "Senior Member" for our members of the armed forces? I think it would be great to have something like that.

Quick Reply: Corvetteforum Suggestion time!