C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:14 PM
jrh74cp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Temp Sensor Question

I'm in the process of installing Vortec heads on my motor. The stock temp sensor will not fit the hole in the heads (sensor is too big). Any recomedendations on a sensor that will fit and would work with the stock temp gauge?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Temp Sensor Question (jrh74cp)

I have the same problem, I'm thinking of taking my current sensor to an autoparts store along with a multimeter and doing resistance tests on ones that will fit in the Vortec heads. I might be wrong about this but I figure if I can find one that has the same amount of resistance at room temperature, then it should be close. Another alternative is to install the old sensor in the intake, I think there is a hole in the Vortec Performer that it will fit in. It won't be as good as having it in the head, but it should be close.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:14 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Temp Sensor Question (Smokehouse69)

The problem is trying to find the correct 3/8" sensor with the correct resistance to match your temp gauge......

I drilled out the small 3/8"NPT hole with a 23/32" drill and tapped it with a 1/2"NPT.

[Modified by KenSny, 1:16 PM 1/23/2002]
Old 01-23-2002, 02:26 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Temp Sensor Question (KenSny)

I put my sensor in the fitting by the thermostat, It's a little hotter there by about 10 degrees...
Old 01-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Green76
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Temp Sensor Question (jrh74cp)

Hi John,

Here is what I did last year, I had the same problem with my brand new ZZ4 crate engine.

Go to Autozone and buy a WELLS temp sensor part # TU5 it is a replacement 1/2" temp sensor used in the stock 350 L-48, cost is $5.99

Take the new sensor to a machine shop or to a friend that has a lathe, turn down the threaded area only down to 0.671" diameter.
Next buy or find somebody that has a 3/8"-18 npt. die (pipe die cuts a tapered thread). Thread the sensor while still in the lathe and use the tail stock to guide the die straight.
Thats it you are done, works like a charm.
I experimented on a couple of old temp sensors that I did the same thing to and then cut the open, there is plenty of material left.
My gauge seems to be working properly last summer, with a 180 deg. thermostat my gauge read between 180 to 200....
Ulf

Get notified of new replies

To Temp Sensor Question

Quick Reply: Temp Sensor Question