C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practicing Big Block Driving Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:14 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Practicing Big Block Driving Techniques

I'm bored and I should be studying for a Goverment/AP Symposium semester final. My daily driver is a '92 S-10 2.8, one of the worst (trucks) handling vehicles on the road. The back end is so light you can get it loose any way you like it. Living in Minnesota I have plenty of opportunity to slide. When the roads are nice and slick I like to drive the car at the edge as much as possible. I slide around corners, do figure 8's on empty roads early in the morning, and I'm getting damn good at controlling any type of slide.

But today I was thinking, gee, maybe this is good practice for driving the big block torque monster!

Anyone else like to get squirrelly with their daily driver on icy, snowy roads?
Old 01-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Practicing Big Block Driving Techniques (ddn)

Generally, there's too much traffic in CA to play around like that, and too many cops to get away with it. I've drifted a couple times in my 'vette, but I spend more time trying not to do it than to do it. Usually there's a wall and a car on either side of you. I really want to find a huge parking lot and practice wet-weather drifting sometime though.
-Steve
Old 01-23-2002, 04:24 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Practicing Big Block Driving Techniques (Pacin'California)

I think that sliding is fun too. Here in Colorado we have lots of back roads, fun to drift out on. Its really good to get out and see how your car handles in a non-traction environment. Here its easy , there is lots of snow and ice on the roads. I like to take the Vette out and play rally driver in the snow and I can always claim it as "good training" to see how the car handles. Heck when I got my pilots license they make you stall the airplane so you know how to handle it when you loose all/most of your lift. Besides preparing you for when the time comes it sure is alot of fun !!! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Practicing Big Block Driving Techniques

Quick Reply: Practicing Big Block Driving Techniques