C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Question

Old 01-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alternator Question

This isn't about my Corvette, but my 79 Riviera. What does it mean when the belt squeals? I know know, get a new belt, tighten it etc etc...it only squeals for about the first 3-4minutes on start up and when I rev the engine slightly. After the warm up (it's -24 right now) it goes away until the next time I have a cold start. Is it working too hard and the belt tends to slip a bit? Do I have battery problems maybe?

Aaron

[Modified by Stingy74, 5:07 PM 1/22/2002]
Old 01-22-2002, 07:11 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Alternator Question (Stingy74)

You don't have a problem other than you live to far north. When belts get older they get harder and tend to slip..... Add -24 and the belt really slips until the friction heats it up.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Alternator Question (gkull)

Reason I ask is because I just went to start my car and it only got through about 3 rotations and then just slowly died. It's got a Delco freedom battery that's less than a year old. Those are good, expensive batteries so I hate to look there for problems. I started to put two and two together and I remember the squealing upon warm up. Hmmmm.

I have since charged the battery for about an hour on my little baby charger. Re-installed batery and....werrrrrr werrrrrr werrrrrr....vroom! It has always always started like that and I think it's becuase I always keep thing in tune. I hate diagnosing electrical crap, espically without the proper tools.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:17 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Alternator Question (Stingy74)

A alternator belt slips after startup because the belt is loose or slippery AND the alternator must supply a huge amount of current for the first 30 sec to recharge the battery. As the battery charges, the alternator load slowly drops. The more power you pull from an alternator, the more HP you need to put into it.

With a new car, the engines can draw 25 amps easy. When you add lights and other accessories AND trying to charge the battery, the alternator may have to supply 100 amps. Wow!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Question