C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T5 Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 03:29 PM
downtownj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 Help!!

Okay guys to start I've got a 74 Stingray which I saved from a guy who was going to strip it and sell the parts!

Currently it has no engine or tranny, I want to put a used LT1 in it and rebuild T5?

-Has anyone done this?
-Will the T5 mount easily what will need to be changed? (crossmembers etc.)
-How much power can an average T5 take?
-Does anyone know any links or books if this has been done before.

Thanks for any help
Jayme
Old 01-22-2002, 04:07 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: T5 Help!! (downtownj)

Mike Forte sells Tremec T5 replacements that he has modified to fit up to GM engines nicely. Crossmember and shifter modifications are necessary but not horribly difficult from what I've seen. http://www.fortesparts.com/ Someone on the forum has pictures, I can't remember who though.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:08 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a T5 in mine and really like the transmission. It bolts right in like any 4 speed. I don't know about your rear mount but mine required a small piece to be welded on the crossmember for a rear mount and the driveshaft to be shortened. The shifter came out in the middle of the consel but that can be changed by spacing the shifter over, or heating and bending the shifter handle or making a new plate with a center opening. The hole in the tunnel might need a little enlarging to one side but no big deal
As for how much it will take. Depends on year, up to 330FT lbs or as low as 265 Ft lbs. Don't power shift it and it will live. !st doesn't cause problems , it is 3rd . Shift slow and carefully and it will live.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:22 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Default Re: T5 Help!! (norvalwilhelm)

Welcome to the forum! Is it an automatic or a manual car originally? If it's an automatic car, you have (in some ways) an easier job -- the cross member is bolt-in as opposed to weld-in. If you want a mechanical clutch linkage though, a piece would need to be welded to the frame. Either way the crossmember will need to be modified for the proper support. The driveshaft will need to be shortened as well. The crossmember job is easy if you're handy with a welder and would be fairly cheap. A good driveshaft shop can shorten your driveshaft with little to no problem. Cheap. If the combo you have uses a hydraulic clutch you're in for some fun from what I hear. Anyone done a hydraulic clutch, BTW?

Jim

Old 01-22-2002, 05:08 PM
downtownj
Intermediate

You guys are awesome.. I've been reading for about three or four hours now, and I have a few additional questions.

Okay I just saved a 74 Stinger from getting dismantled currently it is without an engine and tranny. I intend to put a 95-97LT1 in it with a T5. (I know I cannot aford the T56)

Will the starter fit properly in the bell housing afterward?

What vechicle would be a good one too look for a T5 out of? 3.8L GM? or is this too small, should I be looking for a V8? I know the input shafts are different. Please enlighten. :)

What problems will I have bolting up the T5 to an LT1? will it work stock or will I need a scatershield?

what size of flywheel should I be using? For an aluminum street app flywheel does anyone have a recomendation?

Thanks so much again. :) now its time to crush my fingers

Old 01-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Garys '68
Racer

I'm in the process of looking for parts to do the same thing. I think it might be easier to start with a 5 speed out of a V8 Camaro/Firebird. Get one with the bell housing and slave cylinder.
norvalwilhelm used a master cylinder out of an 85 1 ton GM truck. That would be the easiest if your car originally had an automatic. I did see on the Forte site that they modified an old Camaro manual linkage. I'm still looking to see which would be a better choice for my car (4 speed manual).
I cant see any problem with the starter.
Keep us updated on your project.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To T5 Help!!

Quick Reply: T5 Help!!