C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Convertible question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 12:21 AM
Ashe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Convertible question

I currently have a '95 C4 Convertible, and am wanting to know how the weather sealing is on the C3 roadsters. This could include stock, resto, and aftermarket. Is it pretty weatherproof, or should I go with a hardtop?
Old 01-22-2002, 12:26 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: C3 Convertible question (Ashe)

Depending on what was done wit the car by previous owners...I would think a complete weatherstrip kit would be in order, and be careful about the top pieces over side windows...as water is blown vertically up and over the side window tops at speed....
and of course the front bow seal....
and if it still leaks after that, lemme know, I can tell you how to stop it...

GENE
Old 01-22-2002, 01:38 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vert is pretty watertight. The only places that I get a little water in (but mostly air) is where mrvette has spoke of, right above the window area near the back of the window. I have never replaced my weatherstrip, and it looks like it is original. Might have to replace it at a later date.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I also get wet on my arm/shoulder, because of water blowing in from the trailiing edge of the windows on the highway. Its ok off the interstates at normal speeds. I am not sure about mid to late 70s, but I don't think you can expect a C3 to be as quiet, and refined as a C4 or C5.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:58 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: C3 Convertible question (Eric 70)

I also get wet on my arm/shoulder, because of water blowing in from the trailiing edge of the windows on the highway. Its ok off the interstates at normal speeds. I am not sure about mid to late 70s, but I don't think you can expect a C3 to be as quiet, and refined as a C4 or C5.
I agree.. but I drive My 74 in the rain and She is watertight.....I would say Go for it and get the c-3 vert for sure..U sill NOT Regret it
Old 01-22-2002, 11:14 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: C3 Convertible question (Alwyn678)

Oh, I certainly was NOT trying to talk anyone out of owning a C3 convertible. I think it makes for an excellent experience, and you will know what a owning a REAL roadster is all about. You can't stop smiling, and will have a ton of stories to remember for the rest of your life! When I was younger I had a Triumph Spitfire, and I have plenty of memories in (and under the bonnet) of that car too.
I also am comfortable driving my '70 in the rain.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:11 PM
NCVETTE
Heel & Toe

Default Re: C3 Convertible question (Eric 70)

My 74 convertible doesn't seal near as well as my 87 did. But to be fair, I replaced all the weatherstriping on the C4 when I put on the new top.
The C3 will not be near as quiet as the C4, much more wind and road noise. I think the headliner in the C4 has a lot to do with this.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:57 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C3 Convertible question (NCVETTE)

I will get the top replaced on my 68 the next some weeks - new top, new seals, all new parts.
The guy who is doing the job is a professional at very reasonable cost (250 $$) - he is able to do wonders to convertible tops!

The wet spots should be cured by then! (As far as I remember, cause i have driven the car in rain only once) :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Convertible question

Quick Reply: C3 Convertible question