C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to wire MINI STARTER???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:38 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to wire MINI STARTER???

The old starter had 3 terminals. Battery, solenoid, ???. The new mini starter has 2 terminals, battery and solenoid. To what do I connect the other terminal?

From the wiring diagram it looks like it goes to the coil, but the wiring is so dirty and heat faded it's really hard to tell.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-21-2002, 11:03 PM
kenincanada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to wire MINI STARTER??? (71roadster)

the third term. is ignition. it feeds 12volts to your coil during cranking.{point ignition} two term. starters are for HEI ignition witch doesnt require a cranking feed. I hope that helps.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:15 AM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: how to wire MINI STARTER??? (kenincanada)

Well I am running MSD billet distributer with a 6A box, so do I still need that connection? Or can I connect it to the solenoid terminal? I need to find a way to make this starter work since I bought it at a car show and it will be two months before I could exchange or return it.

Incedentally, I don't see any starters listed in summit or jegs differentiating between points or HEI ignition. Just chevy V8, all.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-22-2002, 12:21 AM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

You don't need that wire at all. That wire gave the coil 12 volts while you were starting the car. After the car is running the coil power comes thru the resistive wire. With the MSD you have no need for that wire. If I remember correctly the MSD takes in an ignition wire and +12v and ground. The coil wires come from the MSD box. I have the same set up, with a mini starter.
The following users liked this post:
dariopop (02-12-2016)
Old 01-22-2002, 12:44 AM
kenincanada
Racer

Default Re: how to wire MINI STARTER??? (73Ken73)

So what feeds your coil during cranking
Old 01-22-2002, 02:47 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: how to wire MINI STARTER??? (kenincanada)

ttt
Old 01-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The 3 wire starter had a terminal (marked S) that provided 12V directly to the coil while starting. Inside the solenoid was a metal contact finger to the inside of the S terminal. When the solenoid is engaged it routes 12V directly from the starter positive cable to the coil.
HEI does not require this to start. You can use a relay to provide this direct 12 volts to your coil. Get a hot constantly hot 12 volt (directly from the Big Starter cable is a good place.) Hook it up so that the 12 volt will flow through the relay when your key is in the START position.
That require that you activate the relay with the same wire that engages the started solenoid. I wish I had a schematic to show you exactly how it is supposed to work.
The reason I say to get a 12 volt from an unswitched source, is that most of the electronic circuits are set to disconnect when you are cranking the car. Wipers, radio, power windows, etc. all stop while you're cranking.
If you don't supply supplimental 12v to your coil, it might start, but it will be hard to start.
I did this a couple of months ago I think Pedro has also set his up too. It works good. Car will normally start on the first try.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:13 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

The MSD box feeds the coil all the time. The spark is much stronger with the capacative discharge system. The ignition wire to the MSD box is still hot during engine cranking. Just leave the other wire disconnected or remove it .
Old 01-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: how to wire MINI STARTER??? (Smokehouse69)

I did this a couple of months ago I think Pedro has also set his up too. It works good. Car will normally start on the first try.
Yeah, I did rig a relay too, with Steve's help.

First I tried to leave the wire previously connected to the "R" terminal disconnected. I had a Pertronix module then, and it worked ok. However it was a little lazy to start, and sometimes it wouldn't start at all. Then after minutes looking like a fool at the gas station I'd pop up the hood, use a jumper wire to send 12V to the coil, and the car would start immediately, and I'd look like a great mechanic which I'm not.... :jester

Well, now I have this relay rigged, and I went back to points. It starts better than a new car now! :D

Anyway, I'd guess that with that MSD ignition you won't have any trouble leaving that wire disconnected.

-Pedro

[Modified by Pedro'74, 3:35 PM 1/23/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To how to wire MINI STARTER???

Quick Reply: how to wire MINI STARTER???