C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 06:53 PM
blue72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet?

It's about that time where I'm trying to get the vette on the road for spring, and the steering is a part of what needs to be done. I know Monty has installed the kit and provided pictures, but only to be driven straight to the shop. Has anyone been able to install it and drive it enough to provide an opinion?
-Jason
Old 01-21-2002, 08:03 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (blue72)

I doubt you'll find anyone other than the one guy here who helped develop it. I ordered it 1.5 weeks ago, but it's still not ready to ship. They're still waiting on parts...
Old 01-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (Flareside)

flareside,

What aprts are they waiting on now? I received my frame gusset last week. That was the only thing they were missing when I ordered and received my kit a few weeks ago.

As for driving impressions, my experience was limited to about 20 mph or so, over about 1/4 mile, but I will say that the steering is tight. There is absolutely no ply in the system at all. The steering wheel has less than 1/8" play in it - your turn the steering wheels, and the wheels turn, no slop at all. I can't wait to get the car back and get the pump hooked up to it so I can get a feel for the power assist. It'll be another month or so though.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:32 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (blue72)

Monty, what is the thing with power assist hookup??? you drove the car, NO?? I don't unnerstand....how come you didn't hook it up??
are you the fellow with the BB in it??? or a SB with large pan???

GENE
Old 01-22-2002, 01:06 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (mrvette)

I didn't hook it up because it's easier and less expensive for me to work around the twin-trubo setup after he's done, rather than him work around me. It's no big deal, just some Aeroquip fittings and hose, so figure it would just be easier to do it after the fact.

[Modified by Monty, 10:03 AM 1/22/2002]
Old 01-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (Monty)

Monty, I just spoke to them this morning (decided to add their clutch linkage to my order), and they said that they are waiting for more brackets to come back from the power coater. My setup is expected to ship on Wednesday.

It's good to hear that you were able to drive the car without power assist, since I don't plan to add that until my new engine goes in (not for a few more months.) Was the steering effort acceptable (not counting parking, of course!)

mrvette, I'm installing it with a big block, as is groovyjay.

-Joe
Old 01-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (Flareside)

I wonder how many kits they have sold by now - if they are already on their second run of brackets?

Steering without the power assist connected was typical of any manual steering I guess. When we were loading it onto the trailer, we had to push it on, and I was able to steer the car with one hand as I pushed it. Pretty unscientific, but I guess it gives you some kind of indication.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:52 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (Monty)

I wonder how many kits they have sold by now - if they are already on their second run of brackets?

Sounds like we're in the wrong business! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Tell me about it. I was thinking about the economics of the Steeroids kits, and how many they could probably sell. I'd be interested to know how many thye think they can sell. I would guess they are probably marking selling the kits for twice the cost of the components, depending on how much they are paying for the racks.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:09 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Monty, I'd say you are correct, there is about 400 bucks gross profit in that one grand price.....but don't forget marketing and other overheads...so it's really a fair price for a commercially marketed kit....
but given that, with a bit of welding talent, and my friend John's time is worth SOMETHING, the only critical part is the brackets...the rest is comparatively easy, really, well for me anyway...I"m an old junkyard dawg on fabrications....

GENE
Old 01-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (mrvette)

Well, the day I ordered my system, I estimated the component prices from a few manufacturers. Allowing $200 for brackets and powder coating (which may be low), the price came to $955 without shipping! I got most of the prices from Flaming River. Given that we're dealing with power coated brackets and brand new aluminum components, I think the $995 price is the best bargain going for Vettes.

RACK 300
shaft 20
support bearing 60
double joint 150
single joint 75
brackets 200
hoses 50
tie rods 100

Total $955!
Old 01-22-2002, 07:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Flare, I think your posted prices are all retail, I would HOPE steeroids gets theirs for considerably cheaper, they should, ordering in some quantity...
I would assume near 50% off list....
ONe point though the rack is better off being a rebuilt...as I would not trust new GM built racks to be better in construction than originals...which used the aluminum housing as linear bearing...instead of iron/steel...
or so it's described to me anyway, I never tore one apart, but have replaced many a 'lazy' OEM GM rack....

GENE
Old 01-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Gene, the prices are what the pieces would cost me if I put my own together. No wholesale available to me, that's for sure. I'm not saying that they're not making money, just that I don't think anybody could save money by doing it themselves without using wrecking yard used parts (not that that's bad, I buy from them too sometimes.)

-Joe
Old 01-22-2002, 08:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Flare, I don't have but about 200 into my version...now that is with junkyard rack for sure, but it's a rebuilt iron version...there is no majic about the universals on steering input...and the use of stock tie rods with extensions saves money too...much less the comments about the design of their system...that center mounting, and those extenders on the knuckles...
now with just changing out a functioning system...well tie rod mods are near free, adaptor block is about 80 bucks for center output to stock setup adaption, and then the mounting brackets, and input linkage courtesy of junkyard....

GENE
Old 01-23-2002, 12:39 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

"decided to add their clutch linkage to my order"- so Joe the Copycat theme continues!!! :D :cheers: :lol: :lol: :) :yesnod:
Maybe I should ship my car to next to yours so we could work side by side and see which one would finish first!!!! :jester :cheers:
I just got email from Eckler's that my front suspenion set up is ready to be shipped, FINALLY only after 2months and 2 weeks!!!!!
My wheels will take 5 more weeks for American racing to make them.
My clucth set up should be on its way from Sumiit racing.
And rest of my air condition parts should be shipped next week.
Adn finally that Steeroids kit with the Clutch linkage in two weeks, so I think I'll be a busy boy on February!!!! :eek:
Old 01-23-2002, 06:38 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Default Re: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet? (groovyjay)

"decided to add their clutch linkage to my order"- so Joe the Copycat theme continues!!! :D :cheers: :lol: :lol: :) :yesnod:
Maybe I should ship my car to next to yours so we could work side by side and see which one would finish first!!!! :jester :cheers:
I just got email from Eckler's that my front suspenion set up is ready to be shipped, FINALLY only after 2months and 2 weeks!!!!!
My wheels will take 5 more weeks for American racing to make them.
My clucth set up should be on its way from Sumiit racing.
And rest of my air condition parts should be shipped next week.
Adn finally that Steeroids kit with the Clutch linkage in two weeks, so I think I'll be a busy boy on February!!!! :eek:
Jay, what did you get for front suspension? (no way am I buying new suspension! ;) ) Sounds like quite a schedule you have lined up!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:48 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

JOE I ordered the complete monospring setup with tubular A-Arms this is the same kit that Vettebrakes sells and manufactures I believe. Lot of work lined up? Yeah tell me about it!!! Today I took off the head light assemblies to clean them up properly and then I finished cleaning underside of the body and then sanded it to be ready for paint. This is getting redicilous!!!!!!! I think I should have some pics to show before the end of the month, so I can share some of my "pain" with you guys!
Jay :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet?

Quick Reply: So, has ANYONE installed the Steeroids setup and driven it yet?