C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 03:25 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine overhaul

i want to buy a stroker kit for my 81 vette, but it looks as if the piston would hit the deck, because theres only about a width of a penny between TDC and the deck. how much higher would the stroker kit make TDC be. how long are the connecting rods stock on my vette. also about the stroker kit, if i was to have the crank internaly balanced would i have to get a harmonic balancer and flywheel for the new cran, which if im not mistaken is a 400 crank. i also plan on buying a hydralic roller cam, roller lifters with vertical lock, and roller rockers. what do you all think about that? is there any thing i should be carfull about changing over to a roller system. i also plan on buying the eldrbrock preformer rpm packege (heads and intake) and a 750 carb. should i get the heads angled or stright plugs for my hooker compition headders im putting on. please give me some info, im a little :confused: and i f i bought all this and it didnt work, it would make me :U . so help me out :chevy
thank you, Randall Graves
Old 01-21-2002, 03:35 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: engine overhaul (gravismaximus)

Great Simplication Disclaimer: The pistons would come to the same point(more of less), a stroker crank requires pistons with wrist pins higher up in the body of the piston. The volume increase comes on the down stroke.
I'll let the real experts fill in all the details.

Sorry,
That should have been HIGHER UP in the piston, I had my head up my rektum.

[Modified by Smokehouse69, 1:49 PM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 03:44 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: engine overhaul (gravismaximus)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

1st of all, a stroker kit will come / must come with new pistons, crank, harmonic balancer and flex plate, assuming you have an automatic. Your current deck hight (the penny), doesn't have anything to do with how the stroker kit will fit, since the hole in the stroker piston for the rist pin is higher/closer to oil ring than your current 350 piston, which ends up putting the piston at top of stroke, about the same as it is now. With the stroker, your piston will travel further down the cylinder bore, and it will therefore have more/greater stroke.

Roller tip rocker arms, like Comp Cams 1.52 roller tip rockers are all that you need for a street engine, and are less money than full rollers, and will fit under stock valve covers, while full roller rocker arms will not.

Going to a roller camshaft is pretty neat and will give great performance, but is expensive. OK to do if money is no object, however you can save some serious $ and still get great performance out of a dual pattern flat tappet camshaft like the XE series from Comp Cams.

Performer RPM package has good heads and intake, however I've heard some say they don't care for the camshaft. Note, that if you use the Performer RPM intake manifold, you will have clearance problems using stock hood and air cleaner set up,(it won't clear) and you'll have to go to a drop base air cleaner or taller L88 type hood.

Not sure about angle or straight plugs and Hooker Comp header fit, suggest you first ask Hooker.

Suggest you do some reading up and thinking about how you will use the car, before you jump in........have a goal, then develop a complete plan to obtain the goal.

Get notified of new replies

To engine overhaul

Quick Reply: engine overhaul