C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage?

As suggested by another forumite, I'm going to remove the crud from the steering components under my car to track down a leak. While I'm at it, I may as well remove the rest of the crud from the undercarriage.

What's the best way to remove 23 years of mung and gunk from the underside of a Corvette?

Brake parts cleaner?

Engine degreaser?
Old 01-21-2002, 01:37 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage? (Neo Fender)

simple green and scotch brite pads

Brake cleaner for the rear thick stuff... degreeser for the oil junk

And lotsa time
Old 01-21-2002, 02:14 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did mine I put the car outside way up on jackstands, sprayed some degreaser in a few spots that needed it, and then power washed the daylights out of it. I then let it sit outside for about a week to dry out. It was a wet job but came out pretty good.

I then wire brushed the surface rust spots and worked a few of the dirtyer spots out. After it was all good and dry I painted it with rustoleum. Kinda sorry I didn't use POR-15 but at the time didn't know any better. Still looks goo after 3 years though.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:51 PM
jvm
Racer

If I did mine again I would first take it down to the local car wash and at least get the big hunks off. That way they don't fall in your eyes like mine did. Wear safety glasses with side shields, and make sure your jacks are steady. Mines up on jacks now. Bumped into one and it moved!! Looked and I could take from under the car!! It wasn't touching anything except the floor!! A vette on three jacks!! If I had know that I wouldn't have had to buy a full set!! Becareful don't get squashed> Jim
Old 01-21-2002, 02:55 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steam cleaning is the answer.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:02 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Industrial strength simple green in an pressurized sprayer. That sprayer wand can reach all kinds of places.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you have some ramps, load them in your car and wait until after midnight, spray everything you can see, down with Simple Green Automotive Cleaner or Gunk Foaming Cleaner.
Then drive down to a spray-away car wash. Drive your car up on the ramps. Reapply another coat of cleaner, let it set a few minutes, and then start plugging Quarters into the spray machine. You might want to take along some coveralls or a rain suit, so you can lay down and get to stuff.
After you've sprayed everything down, inspect with a flashlight. If you still have crud, spray more cleaner and spray again.
After you get it home, you can finish up with rags and some sort of cleaner or solvent. You'll be amazed how good it all looks once the crud is off, then you'll be able to find all the drips and leaks.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:25 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage? (Smokehouse69)

I used a product from a company in Bradenton Florida that they sell as a whitewall cleaner, I diluted it 50/50 with water and it still ate through rubber gloves, ate my fingerprints off and turned my hand blue...but the grease just fell right off. You can also get Royal Purple degreaser as it's just as strong. Spray it on, let sit a few minutes and power wash it off. Be careful is you have any aluminum parts as these products are not good on them, they turned my neighbors manifold almost a blackish gray color and he spent hours polishing it up again.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:38 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage? (ZD75blue)

Whenever I stripped down the rear portion of my frame I used WD40 and a wire brush. I had the entire frame stripped down to the bare metal in no time flat. :cheers:
Old 01-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Call the local rental yards in your area for advice... We have an equipment rental company down in Glendale CA. that has a steam cleaning service.... they put your car up on the rack so access is not a problem... I would be sure to see that the floor pan drain plugs are in place before the sprayer is turned on! BEATS THE HECK OUT OF ALL JACK STAND AND WHEEL RAMP SOLUTIONS.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:45 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage? (bence13_33)

I used simple green and a bag of rags.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:06 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage? (Smokehouse69)

If you have some ramps, load them in your car and wait until after midnight, spray everything you can see, down with Simple Green Automotive Cleaner or Gunk Foaming Cleaner.
Then drive down to a spray-away car wash. Drive your car up on the ramps. Reapply another coat of cleaner, let it set a few minutes, and then start plugging Quarters into the spray machine. You might want to take along some coveralls or a rain suit, so you can lay down and get to stuff.
After you've sprayed everything down, inspect with a flashlight. If you still have crud, spray more cleaner and spray again.
After you get it home, you can finish up with rags and some sort of cleaner or solvent. You'll be amazed how good it all looks once the crud is off, then you'll be able to find all the drips and leaks.
That's essentially what I did. I did this a couple of times, and now my car is basically clean. I guess if I do this midnight cleaning operation once a year I can keep it always clean....

-Pedro

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage?

Quick Reply: Best way to de-gunk C3 undercarriage?