C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware

Mine is leaking like a sieve (probably the cylinder, but I haven't chased the leak down yet). What do I need to know before I drop any $$$ on this.

(1) Buy a kit or buy a rebuilt cylinder?
(2) replace hoses?
(3) Why did GM go with this arrangment? I haven't seen it on any other GM car.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware (Neo Fender)

OK here goes... There are four hoses.. One of the large ones is from the pump to the control valve, the other is return. The two small ones that cross each other are cylinder retract and extend. The small ones, if you need to replace them can be a slight problem. What happen is that most(but not all) parts houses sell two identical hoses. That is wrong and they will not work. They will interfere with each other and create problems. There are two different hoses. So before you buy any of the small hoses just ask if the book shows two different ones.. If not find anouther source. You can buy a rebuilt cylinders and or control valves as well as the correct hoses from most any corvette supply house like Eckler's.. BTW GM did use that set-up in the 50's and early 60's. as did Ford on certain models.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:04 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware (silvervetteman)

Just from watching on the forum, it is usually the control valve or pump that goes bad first, check that area. Spray the power steering components( control valve, pump, cylinder)down with brake cleaner, and blow off with compressed air. Then go for a short ride, hopefully this will help you find what is going bad.

Have Fun!
Old 01-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware (Neo Fender)

Find the leaks first before you go changing things out. Get some degreaser, soak everything down, and then wash it off. Get all the grime off of everything.
Put it on stands and wipe everything down so it is dry and no grime or dirt to hide leaking parts.
Park it over a piece of cardboard and let it sit. Then look where it is dripping from. Cylinders will occasionally leak, mine does periodically, then stop, just a drip or two.
The place that usually leaks massive amounts is the PS control valve. They can be rebuilt with kits, or you can order a rebuilt one. There has been a lot of reported problems with rebuilt ones. In the last week or so I know I have read at least two threads on bad PS control valves.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:23 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware (Smokehouse69)

change everything out...

change the valve.

change the hoses.

change the pump

change the cylinder.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

your gonnna have to do the hoses anyways..... might as well do everything else whilke your down there..

Get notified of new replies

To Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware

Quick Reply: Someone please school me on C3 Steering Hardware