C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap - simple question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 05:41 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cam swap - simple question.

Hi, I know that the radiator plus the aux fan & housing need to be removed in order to slide a cam in/out of the motor, but does the A/C condenser need to be removed as well?
Thanks
Paul
Old 01-21-2002, 06:59 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Cam swap - simple question. (UKPaul)

With mine I was able to leave the lines connected and just swing the A/C coil out of the way. I couldn't find a place to tie it back so I had a friend hold it back for me.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:48 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, I left my hood on, removed radiator and radiator support(it needed some minor repair, clean up and paint), and then could swing up the A/C condensor, and held it up with wire to the hood brackets and hinge area, when I replaced my camshaft last fall. No need to open up A/C system by disconnecting the condensor. Just be carefull not to 'bugger up' all of the cooling fins on condensor and radiator. ( I spent a couple of hours opening up all of the banged up areas on both my condensor and radiator, before going back together.)
Old 01-21-2002, 12:18 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Cam swap - simple question. (john's '81 mouse)

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.
I removed my radiator on Saturday for re-coring(SP?) as it sprang a leak last summer. I then got an attack of while-I'm-at-it-itus & come Sat. evening everything from the crossmember forward that is removeable was spread around me on the floor :lol:
I was wondering if I could put any of it back once it had been powder coated, but as I need most of it out to change the cam, then I may just as well go ahead & order a new cam :) The A/C condenser is still plumbed in & is just resting gently on a cushion!
Thanks
Paul
Old 01-21-2002, 04:24 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, check condition of your harmonic balancer once you get it removed. The rubber on mine was squishing out and cracked, so I replaced it. You'll also have to remove oil pan to pull the timing cover off, so plan on a new one piece felpro pan gasket(it's slick!), and think about replacement of oil pump with a new stock unit, if you've got a lot of miles on current one.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:01 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Default Re: Cam swap - simple question. (john's '81 mouse)

John, Thanks for the tip on the balancer (is the balancer puller tool something that could easily be made?). I was reading my manual last night re. cam removal - looks like a fair amount of stuff has to come apart as well as what I've already pulled off. The one thing that makes me :mad is having to pull the exhaust system off - I only put it on a little while ago! Felpro pan gasket will be on order later today (thanks). I was thinking (while-I'm-at-it!) of replacing the oil pump with a high volume one - is it worth fitting, or is the standard one OK for normal driving?
This "while-I'm-at-it" thing has resulted in my entire front end being stripped down & I've got a horrible feeling that my engine will be stripped out pretty soon :lol:
Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Cam swap - simple question.

Quick Reply: Cam swap - simple question.