C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sand paper to use before painting metal parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default What sand paper to use before painting metal parts?

Gonna repaint my air cleaner assembly. (Damn thing got scratched as all hell when it was in the shop.) What grit sand paper do I use, and how hard should I go at it? It's hard to get at the crevices... any tips there? Would steel wool be better? TIA...
-Steve
Old 01-20-2002, 09:52 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What sand paper to use before painting metal parts? (Pacin'California)

Pacin' when I repainted the air cleaner on my CE, I used #400 grit. Just lightly scuff it and i folded the paper into 1/4's and used the edges to get into the crevices. Wipe it all down with mineral spirits and DON'T TOUCH(puts oils on it). I then painted with 3-4 light coats of paint and it looks good as new.
Hope this helps.

[Modified by 82dukman, 8:53 PM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 07:16 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What sand paper to use before painting metal parts? (Pacin'California)

Scotch Brite works great for irregular shaped stuff and won't leave pieces of itself all over like steel wool does. It is abrasive enought to do the job. All youneed to do is break the glazed surface for paint it stick. You need to get all of the chips and scrapes sanded out though :D :D

[Modified by silvervetteman, 5:17 AM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 10:58 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Mine was scratched up so bad that I had to sand all of my paint off. I used 220 regular paper to start then moved to 400 or 500 wet sand paper and finished off with a couple of scotch brite pads. It took a lot of elbow grease and I sure wish I'd had my sand blaster. :eek: It would have made quick work of it. If you have access to a sand blaster, be careful, stay back and don't hit it too long. The metal is thin and will heat up and warp quickly. Hand sanding is slow but isn't risky. I wiped it down with acetone (lacquer thinner) and primed and then painted it with 2-3 coats of krylon semigloss black.

Get notified of new replies

To What sand paper to use before painting metal parts?

Quick Reply: What sand paper to use before painting metal parts?