C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What genius at GM decided.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 09:41 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default What genius at GM decided.....

to use U-bolts to attach the half-shafts to the differential yokes. Spent two hours pulling the half-shafts for new u-joints and probably spent at least 1 1/2 of that undoing those little 9/16 bolts on the u-joints a little at a time with an open ended wrench. Well, at least it is done now.
:smash: :smash: :smash:

BTW: Ordering new bolts from Zip as I post this so I don't have to dela with the rusted originals fro reinstall.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:51 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What genius at GM decided..... (SteveG75)

Steve,

Before you order new (weak) u-bolts to replace the old ones give Art at Van Steel a call. They are now making heavy duty CNC u-joint caps for Sharks. I've got a set on my 81 and I think that before these things break I'll have other broken parts. You will have to drill and tap for the stronger bolts but I think they are worth the effort.

http://www.vansteel.com/

I can email you a picture in the morning when I get home from work of these if you can wait. Let me know, shark.tank@verizon.net

[Modified by C3 Shark Tank, 8:53 PM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 10:31 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Steve:
I know what you mean! Taking those little bolts off is a time consuming job with an open ended wrench. I know have a set of ratcheting open ended wrenches in my tool collection after that little ordeal:yesnod:.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:56 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: What genius at GM decided..... (bence13_33)

I share your pain, or I did last weekend. My halfshafts have NEVER been off the car nor had the struts, trailing arms, shock mounts or differential. I have everything off the rear except the diff and crossmember whcih hopefully goes tomorrow. P.S. - this started with replacing the differential carrier cushion but while I was in there... :smash:
Old 01-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Allan71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What genius at GM decided..... (R. Bruno)

So all of you guys have the u-bolts with nuts?

I thought by the time they went to the larger 3" shafts in 75, most all cars used the caps with bolts. :confused:
Old 01-21-2002, 03:59 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just went through it. 6 of the 8 were actually fairly easy. It was the other two. I ended up going out and buying a 17" breaker bar, that plus some liquid wrench, and some hard pulling finally broke them loose.

The only reason I was working on those is because the ones on the wheel side were totally impossible. I gave up on those while they were in the car.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Steve, years ago a guy showed me where he "custom" made a socket for these, so I did the same. You buy one of those 9/16" "black impact" sockets and grind the circumfrence down to where it "will fit" in the area you are talking about. I've used this socket many times over the years and it always get those bolts out!!!

Get notified of new replies

To What genius at GM decided.....

Quick Reply: What genius at GM decided.....