C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spal Temp Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 05:01 PM
Ricisan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spal Temp Control

After 7 1/2 MONTHS my 74 semi-pro tourer has the new engine and cooling system. I am very happy w/initial performance. As it is the fan kicks on at 200. The temp comes down FAST. I would like to decrease the range of temps and lower the peak temp to 190. Is there an adj switch ? The cooling system "4 core rad + oil cooler and 7 qt pan". This system should have no problem holding 190 w/air on hot day! I don't mind if the fans have to work a little harder at the stoplights and traffic jams. I want the A/C to do its job! Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:27 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Spal Temp Control (Ricisan)

Cool AC is very dependent on good seals between the front of the radiator and the AC condenser. Without these, air will be draw around, not thru, the condenser. Also, make sure your spoiler is in good shape. If the law permits, deleting the front license plate will also help your AC.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:46 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Painless offers a 185 on / 170 off switch. It's P/N PRF-30102 for the entire kit, or P/N PRF-30110 for just the switch at Summit.

[Modified by 1979toy, 3:48 PM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Ricisan
Advanced

Default Re: Spal Temp Control (1979toy)

Thanks for the info w/numbers no less. Can I assume that this has worked good for you? Your car is set up similar to mine. Any thing you would do differnt? What mods do you like best? I just got mine back and am doing the "fine tuning"! I really appreciate the quick and accurate response. Thanks
Old 01-20-2002, 07:05 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Currently my '79 is running too cold with the 185 on temp switch. I should have bought both. I would have lost the other one before summer anyway. I started out with the Flex-a-Lite switch that is fully adjustable. Great idea but I hated having the temp probe stuck in the reaiator hose. It popped off due to a failure to squeeze the doo-doo out of the clamp and earned it's retirement on the spot! The gushing water also shorted out the altenator!
It's always a learning experiance.
My setup still has the Q-jet. I've got a holley sitting in the garage, ready to install. I found out that the Painless switch mentioned above sits exactly where the primary fuel bowl would be.
The cam is frustrating me also. I've got less top end than I expected and think that a full roller cam may be in my future if I can figure out how to deal with all the lift that the aftermarket roller cams offer.
Need a higher stall torque convertor. I thought that I was avoiding that with my cam selection. NOT! Still wring my hands over weather to step up to an overdrive transmission.
Despite all of the above, it's still a Corvette and I'm loving it! :D
Old 01-21-2002, 09:20 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Spal Temp Control (1979toy)

Hayden makes a 3/8" NPT thread in sensor which comes in a kit to include the A/C relay and is adjustable from 160 - 220?. It is kinda pricey ($55), but works well and you don't need to "probe" your radiator.

I can dig up the part number if you want me to.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:16 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Spal Temp Control (Chris A)

I received an email request for the Hayden part number, so I thought I'd share with the forum:

The part number is #3651 and the only place I could find that could even order it for me is O'Reily's Auto Parts. Pep Boys, Auto Zone, NAPA, CarQuest, etc could not even order it.

Their online catalog is at: http://www.haydenauto.com/hc2000/e_c...f/contents.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Spal Temp Control

Quick Reply: Spal Temp Control