C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does zero deck height mean?

Old 01-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default What does zero deck height mean?

In reference to cylinder/heads? How do you get to zero deck height?

What deck height is normal or most common?

thanks
Len

:smash: :smash:
Old 01-20-2002, 04:53 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What does zero deck height mean? (1970 Stingray)

thats where the piston comes to the top of the deck..alot of builders do it at 6 thousandths in the hole..some do it at zero..you can deck the block to achieve the zero or 6 thousandthds deck height too.hows the excursion treating you?
what you do is bring the pistons tdc and then measure with a feeler guage and see how far down the piston is in the hole..

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 3:54 PM 1/20/2002]

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 3:54 PM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 04:58 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It means the top of the piston @TDC is level with the top of the deck. I think most average sm. blocks come in about .020 - .040 in the hole @TDC. What it works out to is the difference between .040 deck height and 0 deck height is about 1 compression point with like head gasket and chamber volumes. A machine shop can probably provide a better explanation than I can, but that's basically it. There's more to it regarding tightening up the quench area and the effect it has on combustion characteristics, but that's over my head.
Troy
Old 01-20-2002, 05:03 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all pistons are created equaly in respect to negative deck height.As an example one part# 427 piston comes in at around - .008 compare to another 454 piston that comes in at -.025
These motors must first be mocked up to see how much material must be removed from the deck surface of the block.
This operation is usefull to increase the quench area to promote better combustion and reduce detonation on pump gas.
With a true open chamber head the gain by doing this is about nil other than if you are correcting compression.
This would apply in part to Small Chevy's as well
Old 01-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What does zero deck height mean? (pats406nitrovette)

Thanks guys. This question was raised because the Holley SysteMax engine package I'm considering states that there should be zero deck height. What happens if I'm not at zero deck? Compression ratio changes? Anything else? Can I still use their aluminum heads?

Pat, the "X" is one awesome vehicle. Great in the snow, nice stereo, leather & pick-up. good thing we bought it when we did---the next day it was packed with my wife & I and 6 teenage girls going ice skating.

Len
Old 01-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I still use their aluminum heads?
There will be no problems with using the heads on a stock block and pistons with the .025 or whatever below deck. The only problems you could encounter is if the block has been "decked" so that the pistons rise above the deck which could cause contact with the valves in the head and destroy the engine. Don't leave anything up to chance. The only way to check piston-deck clearance is remove the head and place a straight edge across the deck and make sure the piston does not touch the straight edge. There may be some carbon deposits on the pistons, and if so be sure to remove it before attaching a new head.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What does zero deck height mean? (mountainmotor)

Not all pistons are created equaly in respect to negative deck height.As an example one part# 427 piston comes in at around - .008 compare to another 454 piston that comes in at -.025
These motors must first be mocked up to see how much material must be removed from the deck surface of the block.

This operation is usefull to increase the quench area to promote better combustion and reduce detonation on pump gas.

With a true open chamber head the gain by doing this is about nil other than if you are correcting compression.
This would apply in part to Small Chevy's as well
1970 Stingray

The above post by mountainmotor answers.

Yes, you can still use their aluminum heads.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:30 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What does zero deck height mean? (Ganey)

Thanks Guys, that's what I thought. The heads are off the block but I haven't measured the deck height yet. Just by looking and feel, with one piston a 0 TDC it's a little lower than the block face, so I shouldn't run into any valve/piston clearance problems.

Get notified of new replies

To What does zero deck height mean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does zero deck height mean?