C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior lights question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 02:24 PM
96stinger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights question

I'm in the middle of putting as new stereo system in my 74 and there are several courtesy lights in the console and dash. My question is when I test the lights they work and have power to them but they dont go on. I have tried turning on headlights, interior lights and they don't come on. I also know some become grouned when put into their slot and this should make them work. This is not true with all of them. Can anyone help here???? :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 01-20-2002, 03:57 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: interior lights question (74stinger)

The under dash courtesy lights have both a hot wire and ground going into the bulb housing. The bulb needs to be correct with two contacts on the end of the bulb, as the bulb housing doesn't ground itself. Most problems I've encountered with electrical have been due to a bad ground.
Good luck,
Greg
Old 01-20-2002, 04:21 PM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: interior lights question (74stinger)

Another possibility to consider is your new stereo. When I installed a new stereo in my 79, it has its own internal alarm wiring into the courtesy lights. Now my vette had the courtesy delay box at the time and I think that is why it got fried. My stereo was detecting that the doors were closed but the courtesy lights were still on. About a week later my courtesy delay box went out. I just bypassed it and had no more problems. Good luck.

John

Get notified of new replies

To interior lights question

Quick Reply: interior lights question