C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with small block to big block swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Mike's 69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with small block to big block swap?

I know that this has been ask probably several times, here goes one more time. Yesterday I found a '73 454 and am considering changing by numbers matching 350/350 small block for this rat motor and saving my original motor. My question is, is this wise? If so, what types of problems will I run into as far as suspension, drive train, etc. Will the 454 drop in and mount correctly on the motor mounts, transmission hook up, etc. I've read the forum for some time and found it to be very informative. I would appreciate any and all in favor or against responses!
Thanks,
Mike :cheers:
Old 01-20-2002, 01:15 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Problems with small block to big block swap? (Mike's 69)

It's a bolt-in. Mounts are the same. The biggest deal is the pulleys and brackets. BBC stuff is $$$ from Corvette parts suppliers. So check out
http://www.classicindustries.com
look up the Camaro and Nova BB parts. MUCH cheaper than, and the same thing as BBC parts labled "Corvette".
P.S. You need the BB front springs....

I know that this has been ask probably several times, here goes one more time. Yesterday I found a '73 454 and am considering changing by numbers matching 350/350 small block for this rat motor and saving my original motor. My question is, is this wise? If so, what types of problems will I run into as far as suspension, drive train, etc. Will the 454 drop in and mount correctly on the motor mounts, transmission hook up, etc. I've read the forum for some time and found it to be very informative. I would appreciate any and all in favor or against responses!
Thanks,
Mike :cheers:
Old 01-21-2002, 03:11 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I made this swap many years ago to my 75 and used the original small block motor mounts, starter, distributor and transmission. I originally used the long water pump , alternator brackets etc etc from the donor car. Other then being forced to use an electric fan everything worked. The short water pump is only needed to run a mechanical fan.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:35 PM
Chris Breaux
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problems with small block to big block swap? (norvalwilhelm)

The first reply is right on. The pulley's and accessory mounting brackets are the only problems. You need to get a small double pulley that they used on the big-block engines. The large triple main pulley from your smallblock won't work. Also, I would go with the corvette dealers for the mounting hardware. I had real problems locating the right mounting hardware. I ended-up moving the alternator to the right side of the engine bay and fabricated the mounting brackets for it and the power steering.

Old 01-21-2002, 03:43 PM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more very important thing to remember.

You have to recalibrate the linkage between your brain and the accelerator pedal :lol: And, you may need to reset your fun trigger. Otherwise, the first time you drive it you may pass out from torque induced euphoria ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with small block to big block swap?

Quick Reply: Problems with small block to big block swap?