C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange observations while changing rear main seal, questions????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Strange observations while changing rear main seal, questions????

Replacing the rear main seal. I have noticed several odd things that beg a question. First- one of the bolts to the rear cap came out dry while the other was coated in oil. Does this mean anything? Second- The cap does not want to come off. I hit it with a rubber mallet but to no avail. Any suggestions? While under there, I am installing my oil temp sensor ( not pressure sensor). What I thought was the correct spot was not. It was simply a plug leading to nowhere. Behind the plug was solid metal, almost as if a threaded hole was made but not drilled all the way through the block. Strange! Last question- I found 2 7/16 threaded holes directly above the oil filter. They sit side by side but were unplugged. What are they for? Is this where the oil temp sensor should go? If these holes are unplugged, would they leak oil? I am trying to find an oil leak above the oil pan. Its not the valve covers, but there is oil on the side of the block. I can't explain where the oil is coming from. Maybe this is the mysterious leak. Any suggestions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Its amazing what you can find and notice while under the car :crazy:

Regards,

Jim

[Modified by Jim73, 7:44 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 09:13 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Strange observations while changing rear main seal, questions???? (Jim73)

Hi Jim The bearing cap needs a good tap usually to come loose. The holes above the filter, the last SB I built had an oil pressure switch that triggered the check engine light there. But just one hole if I remember right but this was a 1980 block. I have seen blocks with plugs hammered in and blocks prethreaded with plugs. But I can't imagine a tapped hole near an oil gallery without being plugged, maybe some unused accessory hole.
Hope that helps
Scott
Old 01-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Strange observations while changing rear main seal, questions???? (Jim73)

Tap gently on the side of the cap with a metal hammer. This will shock the cap out of its posistion. Tap with a downward motion. Check oil sending unit or line for leak. Its usually located or connected beside the dist on the top of the block. Also oil could leak from the manifold end seal or the rear cam freeze plug.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange observations while changing rear main seal, questions????

Quick Reply: Strange observations while changing rear main seal, questions????