C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Shield/Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Shield/Sound Deadening

Just got my Heat shield/sound deadening padding in from JCWhitney today.
Started slappin it in deya. Anybody who has been through this already have any do's or Don'ts feel free to advise. Otherwise I'll just learn the hard way.
God I love this place. It really is cool being able to get help anytime you need it. Thanx
Old 01-19-2002, 08:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Heat Shield/Sound Deadening (Armstrong)

You outta be able to Strong-Arm that in thea jest fine....no problem...;-)))

common sense, really...neatness counts...

GENE
Old 01-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Geoff1340
Instructor

I am RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of this, My interior is pretty much stripped, Dash, center console, Drivers & passengers dash faces (??) everything behind the seats, etc...I would recommend checking the heater core as mine was "fixin" to leak. I tore out all the rotten/wet insulation, chased down and fixed the interior water leaks, and am now replacing the insulation with JC Whitney - HOME DEPOT stuff. Also a good time to check vacuum and electrical as I DONOT want to do this again. I too would appreciate any insight / advice...
Old 01-19-2002, 08:34 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

The only problem area I had with mine was the console area. If you add too much padding on the sides of the tunnel, the console and brake plastic don't want to fit right. If I were to do it again, I'd set the console in there and only bring the padding up to or just below the console bottom edge. Same with the brake cover. Then only carpet would be under the console (like OEM). I was amazed at how that little bit of padding made the console install very difficult.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:41 PM
dlw
Racer

Yep, now is the time to look at all the things that can and should be fixed while its all apart. I replaced some wiring that looked worn, anti-theft relay and flasher, checked all the vacuum hoses and even installed two additional speakers. When I removed the interior I kept a detailed list of how it all came out so I wouldnt forget how it went back. Saved me a couple of times! And took a lot of pics before during and after.

Have fun
Old 01-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Heat Shield/Sound Deadening (dlw)

Would have loved to take pics of the before. But the guy before me tore this thing all apart and lost interest in it. His loss my gain but it sure is a chore trying to figure some of this mess out. I'll get it and it'll be straight when I'm done. Maybe not original as some would like. Thanx for the replies
Old 01-21-2002, 05:25 PM
76greg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a question. I have the same heat shield from JCW. I have heard you should mount it foil side down to reflect the heat away from the interior, but I have seen posts that show it foil side up. I asked a reseller at a show and he said foil side down. I put down heavy duty aluminum foil on the floor first away just for fun. I also have seen insulation with foil on both sides. What do you think is the best way?

Greg :seeya
Old 01-21-2002, 05:39 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

figure out some way to stop the heat from travelling through the seat frame bolt... I did what you did with the foil/ceramic mat and while the results were very impressive... the interior passenger seat frame still packs a lot of heat after several miles of driving... the exhaust pipe is directly under the bolt boss on a y-pipe model.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:41 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Heat Shield/Sound Deadening (76greg)

Am putting mine foil side down as instructed. Seems logical to me if your using it to keep heat out. I know it say's reflective heat but heat is heat. It said in any other areas to use it foil side up if you wish but I decided to do the whole thing foil side down. Looks good so far. As I haven't really driven it alot since I've had it I probably won't know what difference its going to make but with having true duals running under there anything I do has to be better than what was there. (Nothing).

Get notified of new replies

To Heat Shield/Sound Deadening

Quick Reply: Heat Shield/Sound Deadening