C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White stuff in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White stuff in oil

I have some white gooey stuff on the inside of my oil cap, is this water in the oil?
If it is it's probably coming from the intake manifold, right?
Old 01-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: White stuff in oil (Ben Taylor)

This is typical of an engine running very cold. I am sure there will be other opinions on it as well.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:09 PM
CWUin82
Burning Brakes

Had a truck once thathad the same thing happening. White stuff did turn out to be water in the oil. Previous owner of the truck must have overheated and warped the head (4 cyl) causing the leak.

[Modified by CWUin82, 2:11 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 04:12 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It isn't snow!! :D

Either you are leaking water or if there is only a small amount it could be condensation.

If you are driving the car regularly (as in completely warming it up) it is probably a water leak.

Terry

sorry no good news with water in the oil.

Old 01-19-2002, 10:07 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI
I had the same problem on a recently rebuilt 440 Chrysler in a Century Coronado ski boat. We re-torked the head and added "Bar's Leak (a radiator stop-leak that has been around for years) to the cooling system. No more oil in the cap or valve covers. We followed with severial oil changes after 5 or so hours to clean the system.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:40 PM
Phlash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: White stuff in oil (Milest)

There is an easy way to find out if it is a cooling system leak. Go to a good parts store and see if they have a radiator cap tester. Most of these testers can also be used to check the cooling system by placing the pump and test cap on the radiator. Then pump it up to ~15 psig. If it holds pressure you are most likely ok, but if it don't it :U then it is either tear down or ZZ4 time.

Phlash 72 BB Roadster
Old 01-19-2002, 11:47 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: White stuff in oil (Phlash)

Alwasys replace the thrmo-stat with at least a 180 or even better 192. Your engine is running to cold can't evaporate the moisture from the oil. That white crud you are seeing is an acid compound eating away at the insite of your engine.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:43 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Default Re: White stuff in oil (73-454)

I do drive my car all the time, so it's not condensation. I did notice that I was loosing some coolant, would replacing the head gaskets fix this? Or will I need new heads?
Old 01-20-2002, 12:10 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Ben,
I had this problem with my truck several years ago. During the winter months I would get the white gunk on dip stick, inside valve covers, ect. Had presure tests done on cooling system to check for leaks all was good. I don't know how or why but I cured the problem by replacing the $2.00 PVC valve. Give it a try before pulling heads. I haven't had a problem since. :chevy
Old 01-20-2002, 12:28 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do drive my car all the time, so it's not condensation. I did notice that I was loosing some coolant, would replacing the head gaskets fix this? Or will I need new heads?
If you know you have been losing coolant then you can be reasonably certain that its not condensation, and a mere oil change aint gonna cut it.

At the very least get your coolant system pressure tested, As to places where it is leaking - if the engine still runs smooth and you do not have white smoke coming out the tailpipe then it is not a head gasket. At least not a blown gasket in the traditional sense - although the gasket could be leaking into the lifter valley as opposed to one of the cyliders.

The most likely place is an intake manifold leak = remove the intake and look inside the lifter valley - the condition of the gaskets at the four corners of the manifold will tell if its leaking there, also there would be a lot of the white stuff there as well.

If you have water in the oil dont drive it.

[Modified by fauxrs, 8:30 AM 1/20/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 02:54 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Default Re: White stuff in oil (fauxrs)

Looks like I've got a blown head gasket. Well at least it will be easy to change my spark plugs with the heads off.

Get notified of new replies

To White stuff in oil

Quick Reply: White stuff in oil