C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I buy (while not getting screwed) a 'Vette over the net?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 03:08 PM
VetteGoVroom82
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I buy (while not getting screwed) a 'Vette over the net?

After looking all around my hometown of Omaha, NE, it's starting to hit me that probably the only way I'll buy a 'Vette is over the net. What's the best way (financially and time-wise) that I could buy a 'Vette? Here are some of my ideas:

-The person delivers it, and I pay for the mechanic. If the mechanic says the car's OK, I pay for their flight home and lodging for while they're here, plus a little extra for them driving it out.
-I fly/drive out to look at it, and probably take it to a mechanic in the seller's town. This will obviously add up to a lot if I never find a good car for sale.
-If possible, I find someone on the forum who lives in the same town as the seller to check it out. However, if the person from the forum checks it out as alright, I'm not sure where to go from there.

The first and third options are extremely more desireable to me, since I don't want to fly out for 10 cars, with the possibility of never finding a good one.

Does anyone have any opinions on these two options, or new ways that they have heard of people doing or have done themselves of buying a car over the net? I'm desperate for ideas!!! Thank you!

[Modified by VetteGoVroom82, 1:13 PM 1/19/2002]

[Modified by VetteGoVroom82, 1:15 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 03:27 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: How do I buy (while not getting screwed) a 'Vette over the net? (VetteGoVroom82)

the getting a forum member to check it out is a good idea. If they think its a good buy, then you could fly out and drive it home...or drive out and trailer it home...

My '77 will be for sale next month... :jester

Daniel
Old 01-19-2002, 03:51 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How do I buy (while not getting screwed) a 'Vette over the net? (VetteGoVroom82)

Having the person deliver the car to you probably isn't gonna happen. I did alot of internet shopping to find my car and I don't think I ever came across anyone willing to deliver over any substantial distance.
You are in contact with Forum member form all over the country and I'd bet that alot of them would be happy to check out a local Vette and let you know the real deal on the car.
If you do find one you think is the car, get as many pictures and videos as possible before you pay to travel to see the car. At least that way you're going to check out a car that you're 99% sure on.
Just my $.02
:cheers:
Tom

[Modified by 427_Roadster, 7:52 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 03:54 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car on ebay. I was 4000 miles away. The car was in San Diego and I am in Nova Scotia. I bid on the car with the understanding, after the auction was over, I would have it professionally appraised and if the car did not meet the owners description then I would not be bound to the contract. It cost me $100 to have it appraised. After the appraisal was faxed back to me, I couriered the funds to the owner and then flew down to California and picked it up. Acyually in my case, the original owner of the care was being very modest and the car went well beyond my expectations. He even had a limo pick us up at the airport and drive us out to his home to pick the car up. The original owner was feeling so bad that he did not want to be at the house when we drove away with the car...he left the delivery to his wife who shed a few tears when we drove off. It was an awesome drive back in an awesome car. I sent him a picture after I put the side pipes on and he wrote back and said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY CAR" :D

[Modified by Binnie77, 3:59 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 03:55 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are on the right track.

Your options have to be made "when" you find "your" car.

Do ask alot of questions by email and then figure out how you will get a second opinion.

Terry

btw: I found and bought my car on the internet. Then drove to look at it (before paying).

Old 01-19-2002, 04:16 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

A seller would have to be seriously desperate or insane to agree to option #1.
If you want to buy a car and you don't want to buy sight unseen, then it's gonna cost you some cash. You will either have to go see it or hire someone you trust to inspect it.
I wouldn't put a fellow forum member in the position of inspecting a car for me either. Individuals grade cars differently - even if they hang out at the same place. I've had lots of friends tell me about these really sweet cars that looked less than sweet to me :)
Old 01-19-2002, 04:38 PM
rickc
Instructor

Whew, that's a good question.

I bought my vette over the internet without seeing it in person. It really is a "hit or miss" chance doing it this way. I spoke to the seller over the phone several times. He forwarded pics and an appraisal that was performed on the car. Then I contacted a very good corvette shop in my area that performs an over the phone interview with the seller (and in my case, even the seller's mechanic). The guy at the corvette shop had a list of 50-60 questions he asked the seller to determine if the seller was presenting the car accurately. Then he and I discussed the car. This was done for a small fee and convinced me to go for it. If the seller is not willing to answer some in depth questions from a corvette expert, then forget the car.

Just find out all you can about the car- its history is sometimes very revealing. As others have mentioned, go see it if you can or get a forum member to take a look at it for you.

Maybe the forum should compile a list of question to ask sellers about their vettes for future owners to use when looking for a car. This would be a big help for those who know little about vettes.

Good luck, I hope you are as successful (and lucky) as I was!! Keep us posted on your search.

[Modified by rickc, 3:43 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought our '68 through an ad right here on the forum. I had the owner mail pictures of the car's interior, exterior, engine, and chassis. Once I saw the pictures, I overnighted a $500 deposit check to the owner with the stipulation that it would be refunded if we decided to pass on the car. The next weekend, my wife and I drove out to Ohio (400 miles) and stayed over at a hotel. The following morning we stopped at a local Ohio U-haul to pick up a trailer that I had previously reserved, then drove to the Vette. It looked great, so we loaded it up and trailered it back to NJ. It was no problem at all! I wound up getting the car for a few thousand less than I think it would have sold for in the NY/NJ area. It was actually a fun weekend!
Old 01-19-2002, 05:16 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How do I buy (lbell101)

I wouldn't put a fellow forum member in the position of inspecting a car for me either. Individuals grade cars differently -
Just to clarify if it'll help...I wouldn't let another inspect a car for me and just go based on their say so, but you can use a Forum member to weed out less than honest sellers, or look for things like windshield frame rust that a seller may not even know to look for. Just one more checkpoint in possibly saving yourself a wasted trip.
Hey Flareside... been there! Me and the wife drove to the west side of Ohio to inspect my '69. Had it delivered on a car carrier instead of going the trailer route. Kinda wish I did trailer it myself.
:cheers:
Tom

[Modified by 427_Roadster, 11:56 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 12:01 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of months back Juliet posted a list of things to check when buying a vette. You might use that list to sort out a possible over the phone.
W.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:13 AM
chevyman
Racer

Im sure if your interested in a vette and one of the forum members live nearby they would be happy to look at it for you so you dont waste your time. At least I would
Old 01-20-2002, 01:59 AM
GREGO
Advanced

There is a book titled "How to Restore & Modify Your Corvette 1968-82" by Richard Newton. In Chapter two, page 18-19 he has a Corvette Buyer's Checklist". If you get a Forum guy to check one out this might be a good general guide. Basically it is a Pass/Fail list. It either works or it doesn't. It kind of eliminates much of the subjective and focuses in on objective judgements.

Next check the CARFAX for 81 or newer. Costs $20 for two months of unlimited use. I still have it through Feb. 2, 2002 and would be glad to run a check for you and email the results.

Next check the BBB and the BadBusinesBureau.com especially if it is a dealer. I had a bad experience with a large Corvette dealer in Tempe AZ.

Lastly, don't buy anything you haven't personally inspected. That way you'll have no one to blame but yourself if you make a bad purchase (as I did) and when you find that gem that some of these other guys have found you will have a much greater sense of satisfaction in the deal.

If it isn't exactly what you want or expect, WALK, there are lots of Vettes out there for sale and you will find your dream car in a shorter amount of time than you might think.

That's my 2.5 cents worth.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:14 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I found my '73 LS4 right here on the CorvetteForum. Flew out to check it out and it was everything I was looking for, bought it and drove it home (about 1,000 miles).

Technically I found the car on the net but did not buy it over the net. I inspected it in person and then made the purchase decision.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 12:15 AM 1/20/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To How do I buy (while not getting screwed) a 'Vette over the net?

Quick Reply: How do I buy (while not getting screwed) a 'Vette over the net?