C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too?

It seems like I wouldn't have to. I'm changing out my ujoints and I figure all I need to do is jack the car and unbolt the halfshafts since the trailing arms and struts should keep the wheels aligned and in place. :rolleyes:
Old 01-19-2002, 02:46 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too? (Marks69BB)

You have it right.

Terry
Old 01-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too? (Marks69BB)

Marks69BB,

It would be alot easier if you removed the strut rods AT THE SPINDLE (which includes the lower shock mount. You won't mess up the alignment and the halfshafts should go in and out easily...

Bob :cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 05:48 PM
WATTAC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From experience, and the manual, you have to loosen the struts to max outside movement to allow for the half shafts to clear the spindles and diff. side yokes. The manual says to mark the strut adjustments before you twist them so you can return them to the correct position and maintain you alignment. You don't have to remove the stuts, just adjust them outward.

Andy
Old 01-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Hi Mark.. It makes the job a lot easier with the wheels off. You can see everything and you can use a long extension to get the inner bolts loose. BB's have bolts and caps instead of "U" bolts. :cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 05:57 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too? (WATTAC)

What WATTAC said, ditto. And no you dont need to remove the tires. I did find it easy with the tires off though. This way you slide a tire iron between the lugs proped on the ground to keep the thing from spinnin when your breakin em loose. This way you dont have to keep getting up and putting the parking brake on and off through the process.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:15 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

I found it helped to take the rear wheels off, but there was no need to remove or adjust the strut rods at all, so your camber should stay in good shape. Was a pretty straight forward project, but getting any room by the differential was a complete pain, i found that a swivel socket on a breaker bar worked best for me. Good luck, the hardest part for me was getting the u-joints out...*grumbles* They had been in there for some time.....
Old 01-19-2002, 08:17 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too? (silvervetteman)

Hi Mark.. It makes the job a lot easier with the wheels off. You can see everything and you can use a long extension to get the inner bolts loose. BB's have bolts and caps instead of "U" bolts. :cheers:
Um, just a question on that, my '74L82 has bolts and caps, there were no "U" bolts on it....is this how the L82 was??? You got me mighty curious :D

[Modified by VETDRMS, 7:18 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too? (VETDRMS)

There were two types of yokes used. With caps and bolts or wth "U" bolts. All Big blocks had caps. Some small blocks at random had them also. I had a base engine 71 that had caps. One of lifes great mysreties ! :confused:
Old 01-19-2002, 08:40 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too? (silvervetteman)

Well then by my limited understanding i have a "good" thing. The caps are stronger, no? Happy to hear my car is somewhat of an oddity, it sure is a pain in the butt sometimes :) he he he

[Modified by VETDRMS, 7:52 PM 1/19/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too?

Quick Reply: Removing halfshafts - Do I need to take off the rear wheels too?