C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The header adventure begins!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Warp70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The header adventure begins!!!!!!!!

Let me preface this post by saying I am a novice when it comes to cars in general. I began my Header install at 9:00am this morning..........here is my first update, so that those thinking about doing this can share in my pain :) :) :) My hands have never been dirtier in my life, as it seems that my undercarriage is one big leaking mess. Passenger side ram horn is off, along with the A/C compressor. I have already arched off of the starter twice while trying to remove the spark plug sheilds :) It think it's time to unhook the battery now.........Lunch Time Oh by the way did I mention that I cant break the front section of the exhaust pipe loose from the back section....haven't figured out how I going to tackle that problem as of yet, but maybe I'll use the force or something :confused: More updates to follow........I have three days to get this done.....so pray for me :blueangel: :blueangel: :blueangel:
Old 01-19-2002, 12:26 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (Warp70)

Good luck, Just remember
It's hard work
It's dirty work
No one can tell you exactly how to do it since everything is different!
You can do it!
Old 01-19-2002, 12:36 PM
1yy07
Racer

Way to go!! just TAKE YOUR TIME,so you dont hurt your self or the car.you will do fine! :smash: :cheers:
Old 01-19-2002, 12:43 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

One (ok more than one) thing I learned along the way is:

If you need the car for basic transportation, and you begin a project, you will probably need backup transportation.

What can go wrong - will!

And it's the little unexpected things that you need BUT don't have around that will probably halt the install.

Good luck!

[Modified by KenSny, 11:43 AM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (KenSny)

2:21Pm: Drivers side ram horn is off along with the alternator. Spark plugs and spark plug shields off on both sides(I can't believe how much work it was just to get to the bolts on those !@#$% things). I'm taking a break since all of the blood in my body has rushed to my head. :U Then I'll again try to remove the front portion of my exhaust pipes. If I can't get them off I am going to have to do my cutting upside down under the car, which isn't a pleasant prospect. Then it will be time to mount up my headers and measure for the cut!! I need a :cheers: ......or a :smash: I'm not sure which at this point :cry
Old 01-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Warp70
Racer

4:23pm: Valve covers are off and the petrified remains of the Cork gaskets have been chisseled off :) I checked out the numbers on my heads and here's what I came up with: Both heads are #3884520, which from my detective work means their either from a 1960-67 283 or a 1962-67 327. Both have the same cast number on the web site I checked out, but their is another marking that's different on each of the heads. One has a J206 and one has a J226. Don't know what that means, but I do know I don't have 350 heads in the car.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Warp70
Racer

It looks like I'm the only one keeping this thread alive :) Well it's 10:04pm and after a several hour break, waiting for my neighbor to get home, I finally got ahold of a sawzall or whatever you call it. It cut through the exhaust pipe like butter. I began degreasing the engine about an hour ago and I bought some engine enamel to do some detailing tomorrow. It's starting to get a little easier now and I matched up the headers and it looks like a perfect fit. I can't wait to see how my baby runs, when she doesnt have any exhaust leaks. When I get it all done I will post my before and after pics, to let you guys see the difference. :D :chevy
Old 01-19-2002, 11:27 PM
mountainshark76
Instructor

Hi
I am captivated by your progress, keep the thread going I find it very interesting, stay at it! :yesnod:
Old 01-19-2002, 11:56 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Remember my point 3? The Sawzall. Keep at it. Now for a word of encourgement... a quote from the movie Galaxy Quest: Never Give-Up, Never Surrender!

[Modified by KenSny, 10:57 PM 1/19/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (KenSny)

Well, Warp tell us how it is going.
I just started to tear the front suspension out yesterday. But for whatever reason, the engine and is coming out. :confused:
Gonna go through it and refresh everything. Maybe new heads, camshaft...blah, blah, blah.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (Eddie 96)

Well, Warp tell us how it is going.
I just started to tear the front suspension out yesterday. But for whatever reason, the engine and is coming out. :confused:
Gonna go through it and refresh everything. Maybe new heads, camshaft...blah, blah, blah.
Sounds like "While-I'm-at-it-itis"!
Old 01-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (Golden80)

Hang tough Warp70 it'll eventually give in and accept the headers :D
Keep us posted.
Scott
Old 01-20-2002, 12:12 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (Scott78)

Looks like you are making good progress!
Just remember cars can be very stubborn, you have to just keep at them and they will eventually give up :D:D
Old 01-20-2002, 02:14 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (427V8)

Keep us updated!! If I had started a similar thread last year, my final entry would have been: "I gave up and reattached the stock exhaust manifold. Ordered a new stock exhaust system. Will try the headers again next year."

MJ
Old 01-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (MNJack)

Well it's 2:38pm and I just began work on the beast. I had to go see my grandmother in a nursing home because that took presidence over the car. Last night I plastic wraped my engine compartment, and spray painted all of the seeable block with a nice orange engine enamel w/Ceramic in it. It aint perfect, but it looks a lot better than it did. I eyeballed the cut on the exhaust pipes and they came out perfect. Next came the reducers, then the right side Header. It's starting to come together and I am having fun now that most of the greasy stuff is out of the way. Next came the greasy feul line, just from the feul pump to the carb. I have a braided hose kit and this was one of the hoses I wanted to do. Next came the Heater hose, put on the braided covering then back on :) :) She looking purdy. :yesnod: I just picked up some valve cover bolts, so after I get the driver side header on I will be putting the new Edelbrock Chrome Valve Covers, Racing looms, AC Delco Rapid Fire Spark Pluge, then New red Spark Plug wires. I should be done with it all today, but it will probably be late tonight. I decided after some difficulty to not re-install the AC compressor. My A/C hasn't worked since I had the car, and I need to grind down a few spots on the old AC bracket to get it to fit. This will save me some time and I can always install it later if I want. Back to the garage with more updates to follow. :cheers:
Old 01-20-2002, 05:37 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

I sure hope your Grandmother gave you some tips on routing the fuel pump lines!
In case she didn't, I found that I kinked the first braided hose that I installed by trying to bend it in too short a radius. If you feel a kink in the line go ahead and remove it now. It will be tougher later. Been there, done that. Got the kinked hose and skinned knuckles to prove it.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (1979toy)

My 5:00pm update. The headers are installed and the collectors mounted up perfectly to my reducers that are connected to the SS exhaust :) :) :) :) Other than a minor set back when I cut one of my trans cooler lines with the sawzall, it should be, (and I use the words should) be smooth sailing from here. Next up Valve Covers :cool: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To The header adventure begins!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will you be the first one on this forum with the will power not to start the engine before you hook up the exhaust pipes?:)

Chuck
Old 01-20-2002, 07:00 PM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (Chuck Harmon)

Good work, and good luck, every time I think about starting a project like that I find a way to talk myself out of it. I hope all goes well, cant wait to read about the outcome!
Old 01-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Warp70
Racer

Default Re: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!! (Leo001)

8:24pm Update:
Things were going great, spark plugs installed, started putting the chrome valve covers on, 3 down with the looms no problem..........!@#$%&* 4th bolt broke in half as I was tightening it. I wasn't trying to tork this thing into oblivion either, just trying to tighten it down so the loom wouldn't move and wham :smash: off it came. Now what do I do?? Do I attempt to drill it out or what????? I am now finding out all of the reasons why I put this install off so long :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

Quick Reply: The header adventure begins!!!!!!!!